Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Check Engine Light and Code po 456

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 01:46 PM
Default Check Engine Light and Code po 456

No noticeable symptoms for this 2013 (edited to delete 2015) Mazda 3 four-door sedan yet the engine light stays on. Supposedly some type of fuel or fuel vapor leak. I have changed gas cap as cheap, but light has not gone off after driving about 10 miles. Anything else owner can check easily? What is usually wrong when you get this code; Advance Auto ran the scanner for me.

Last edited by Tippy; 04-25-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:20 PM

Welcome to the forum.

You need to have it properly scanned . Not saying that Advance Auto didn't do it correctly they just apparently did not give you all the information. Then post the codes found in all area's of your ECU not just the one. and also if any of the I/M files (monitors) are not complete or in state of readiness

Also like a service shop please post all the details about your vehicle.

miles
Transmission type
Last type of service done and date and miles

BTW it takes more then 10 miles (not sure where you got that information?) with some condition that caused a DTC before it will clear and turn off the dash light. 1-3 or more complete drive cycles depending on what the DTC where to begin with.

DO NOT randomly replace parts without first always confirming that they are the cause of the problem. Often they will create more issues then the original unresolved ones!

Last edited by Callisto; 04-24-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum.

You need to have it properly scanned . Not saying that Advance Auto didn't do it correctly they just apparently did not give you all the information. Then post the codes found in all area's of your ECU not just the one. and also if any of the I/M files (monitors) are not complete or in state of readiness

Also like a service shop please post all the details about your vehicle.

miles
Transmission type
Last type of service done and date and miles

BTW it takes more then 10 miles (not sure where you got that information?) with some condition that caused a DTC before it will clear and turn off the dash light. 1-3 or more complete drive cycles depending on what the DTC where to begin with.

DO NOT randomly replace parts without first always confirming that they are the cause of the problem. Often they will create more issues then the original unresolved ones!
AA claimed no other codes and provided 10-100 miles. I've read drive cycles is the key so maybe a few days unless I get it cleared.

Last Service: 3 weeks ago, oil change; 3 months ago forced by mandatory inspection to replace rear reflector (tiny crack) and anti sway bars.
Mileage: ~61,000
Transmission: 5 speed manual
I think it is the smaller 4 cylinder engine (my SIL's car).

I don't normally replace parts without a definitive cause, but this gas cap a whole lot cheaper than paying for diagnostics. If it doesn't work, no harm and still can get diagnostics. Per SIL, the engine light has never lit up as an alert before. So I am still looking for things to check before I go for diagnostics. Apparently, if this code holds true, then a mechanic would use smoke to detect the leak.

Old 04-24-2024, 05:38 PM

Thank you for a complete answer. Advance Auto generally does not have the few real ASE's do parking lot scanning unless they are training an employee. They are generally managers or district managers. The test done from them for free is basically just what you would get for free. Not knocking AA I just know some chain auto parts store very well.
The service you provided is good to know. Hopefully the cause was not something accidently damaged from the oil filter service?

Drive it a few days as I recommended . If the light remain you should get a shop that has an ASE sign on their building. At least you can hope you get real Tech to run a complete Diagnostic scan for you. It only take about 5 minutes from removing the scanning from the case plugging it in run the scan and putting it back in its case. .
ASE

Old 04-24-2024, 06:15 PM

Many thanks for the good advice.