Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Car Won't Start -- Help!

Old 09-06-2018, 11:30 AM
Default Car Won't Start -- Help!

Hi All,

I'm the 2nd owner of a Mazda 3 2013 with about 59,500 miles on it. I love it! And it runs well, but I've had an issue and can't seem to pinpoint the exact problem. So here's the problem: sometimes my car won't start when I turn it on - it will crank or turnover (I'm not sure what the exact terminology is) but it won't start. I've noticed this happen under the following circumstance: when I've driven it to school and parked in the underground lot (or above ground lot) for hours - usually about 11 hours. But for some reason, it hasn't done it when I turn my car on the morning (only once I think). During the summer, when I parked my car outside for about 9-10 hours there would be no issue turning it on. Second thing I noticed is that when I've hit the gas WHILE turning on the car a second time after it didn't start the first time, it starts up fine. I figured it was a fuel issue so I took it to my mechanic this past week and they cleaned out the throttle and changed the cabin filter. However, once again, last night, when I was at school for about 10 hours, it did the same thing where it didn't turn on the first try. (Side note: if relevant, no check engine light on)

Before I start racking up expenses on trying to figure out the issue, I wanted to see if any of you had any feedback you could provide me with! A couple things about my maintenance: I do its routine oil changes and have also had the tranny fluid drained and filled because I was told by my mechanic that the color was very, very dark, and now this week had the throttle body cleaned out.

I appreciate your feedback!! Thanks