Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Car Chugging Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Default Car Chugging Problem

Just got a 2004 Mazda 3 GX

We had to take it back to the dealer as the car was chugging when it was idle, i.e waiting in traffic, it eventually stalled a few times so i took it back to the dealer.

They did replace a part which was the 'Purge Valve'

All did look ok but the car has started to chug again on idle, but not as bad, so far.

I have noticed that the RPM's drop from 1,000 when the chugging takes place, then kicks back in again. When it was stalling the RPM's would drop to 0, but there aren't going as far down as that this time.

Any ideas?

Old 03-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Default RE: Car Chugging Problem

ive had that happen before but it was my fault, i know it has something to do with your intake system, either the air sensor has to be replaced or you might have a hole in the piping.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:15 AM

yeah it might be the oxygen sensor right where the plastic air box is, or it might be the fuel filter, i know its crazy but its a possibility. check the VIN number with carfax it might be you got a car that was in the hurricane disaster, long shot but sh*t happens

i forgot to mention, but im pretty sure if it was in that disaster, it should be a lemon due to flood damage

Old 03-02-2006, 09:50 AM

Yeah it could be but i don't know much about cars at all.

Apart from Mazda fixing the Purge Valve they also flashed the PCM for shift Shock and they done a re-road test which came out OK.

Have heard that you can clean the Exhaust Gas Recirculation, or it could be the TPS/idle control Value, air cleaing box, throttle body, the list goes on!

Old 03-15-2006, 04:59 AM

I had that problem on my 04 2.3 L auto. I fixed it myself. Find where the battery is grounded. It should be a 8 gauge black wire that is wired to the right side (if looking at the windshield from outside) next to the strut bolts. Just unsrew the battery ground. You will notice Mazda was lazy and didnt remove the paint from the ground. What a dum *** idea. You wont get hardly any electricity flow. Just remove the paint and make sure the contact is bare metal to metal. That fixed my stalling problem! Let us know if it fixes yours.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:02 PM

I noticed my car would do the same thing. I was wondering if I took it to the dealer would they say it was because of my exhaust? I put on a magnaflow exhaust. I know that they will try to find a way to relate the problem with after market parts.