Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Cant find airbag switch.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Default Cant find airbag switch.

Does anyone know where the passenger airbag switch is on my '06 3 hatchback? I need to carry my friends kids to the zoo this weekend and don't want it on for the oldest (9 years old) one up front, I have looked and cant find it anywhere. Thanks!!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

There isn't a manual cut off of the passenger airbag. There's a sensor in the seat which will turn it off if there's something less than 50 lbs in the seat (40 lbs?....)

If they're 9 they should still be in a booster, so the airbag won't be an issue. The only time it's a problem is if A) you have a rear facing child seat in front of an airbag, or B) you have a ill-restrained child (i.e. one not in a an appropriate booster). In both of these cases you end up with something in the deployment path of the airbag.

As long as the kid is in the right booster then they'll be properly aligned with the seatbelts and the airbag won't be an issue.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Ok good to know, I dont know if she has a booster, will have to ask. I just wish there was some light that would tell you if it was on or off when the seat-belt is buckled.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
Ok good to know, I dont know if she has a booster, will have to ask. I just wish there was some light that would tell you if it was on or off when the seat-belt is buckled.
There is. left of the lighter is a light that turns on when the airbag is off. It should turn on briefly when you start the car, and usually if you have a backpack or something in the seat

Old 08-24-2012, 03:30 PM

I dont have anything left of the lighter, just blank plastic.

Attached Thumbnails Cant find airbag switch.-center-stack.jpg  
Old 08-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

And now's where I face palm for not looking at your location and realizing you aren't in the US. Our dashes here look like this

The circle on the left is the airbag indicator for the passenger side. Can't find a picture of it lit up at the moment.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:07 AM

I wonder if the wiring is there in mine, if so I will get the panel from a US spec 3 and install it, I like knowing if its on or not especially with a small kid or elderly person up front. Whats the button thingy in the middle? Oh and dont worry about not looking at my location at first, I always forget to mention it since I am from the US, just moved here a few years ago but still have my ways, especially with cars.......and right turn on red..........and passing on the right if its the only way around..........and not insuring cars based on HP.............and not taxing people because they have a TV or a radio or internet........and and and

Last edited by MazdaTirol; 08-26-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if it's there or not. The button in the middle is something that owner added in.