Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

dealer cant find nothing wrong! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Default dealer cant find nothing wrong! HELP!

Took our 2001 prot 2.0L to the dealer for the low/ruff idle and high RPM at 70 mph and they put it on the machine and reset everything. still doing the same thing. i had them clean the air idle control valve, do whats called a PG cleaning which is suppose to clean the carbin out of the manifold. 300.00 dollars later... i changed the plugs, replaced the TP sensor before i took it in. does anybody have any other clues????? How would i check the injectors without the machine?? it seems to be using alot of gas...........Please help!!! girlfriend is driving me crazy about it not running right. thanks

Old 05-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Default RE: dealer cant find nothing wrong! HELP!

Did the dealer not have any idea why it had a low/rough idle? Base idle speed is adjustable so was that checked? Mass air flow sensors have been source of a lot of problems with idle and driveability problems on Protege for years. Higher rpm at 70 sounds more like a slipping trans though. Is this high rpm perhaps due to torque converter not locking up?

Old 05-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Default RE: dealer cant find nothing wrong! HELP!

The shop manager said when he rode with us that he did not see anything wrong. we know the car and it is not right. I checked the mass air flow sensor like you said in some of your other replys and it was clean. didnt touch it. the only thing i did notice about it is that it sits at an angle in the air stream at a slight angle. is this normal?