Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Can you switch the Sirius to XM Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Default Can you switch the Sirius to XM Receiver

Newbie to the Forum: 2008.5 Mazda 3 s Touring - really wanted a GT but had to settle. Bought new 4/27/09. The car came with a provision for Sirius Radio (you have to buy the receiver and service to get it). Instead of Sirius, can you switch it to XM install instead? I have XM in our Honda CRV and the cost to expand to other cars is minimal. As far a i know, You can't interchange the Receivers. IOW, a Sirius receiver can't receive XM service , even with the merger, according to XM Customer Rep.....Appreciate any insight here.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:13 AM

If you get one that goes into the Aux port you can, other than that the Radio to hit the Sat button is set up for a Sirius receiver, and the receiver for the MZ3 is only for the 08.5 and up.
I used the one through the aux port and then went to the 1 through the radio, the difference was very very noticeable.

BTW, if using the Aux port in the center console you will need a ground loop filter if it is using the cars power.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 AM

If you upgrade you Sirius subscription you'll get both out of one head unit. Sirius and XM merged

Old 05-28-2009, 07:25 PM

vlstellato: Thx for the repsonse. I called XM Radio, you can't get XM broadcast via Sirius receiver. Not yet anyway. Even with the merger. They share only a few programs on a promotional basis. of course, they want you to get a XM receiver. I wonder if Mazda would allow a Swap??? Anyone know??

Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 PM

You could always go with an aftermarket head unit.

Not only could you get XM but the quality of EVERYTHING is better!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 PM

k11: By head unit, you mean an entire new radio unit?? I'm not privy to the radio references.... The Non- Bose radio in my 08.5 sucks.... I bought 'er off the Dealer's lot new in April 2009. What could I do to replace the Head unit to get both XM and better sound??

Old 05-29-2009, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Almatti
k11: By head unit, you mean an entire new radio unit?? I'm not privy to the radio references.... The Non- Bose radio in my 08.5 sucks.... I bought 'er off the Dealer's lot new in April 2009. What could I do to replace the Head unit to get both XM and better sound??
I just say that about aftermarket radios because I generally can't stand the sound of almost any factory stereo.

But yeah, by head unit I do mean replacing the whole radio unit. To do it, you get a radio adapter kit (plastic piece that fills in the hole where the radio was and the DIN hole for the new radio itself), wiring harness to connect the radio to the car. and a DIN cage to fit around the radio for it to mount to the adapter kit. That's about it.

As far as XM or SIRIUS connectivity, it's all up to how the radio works for that.

I think I owned my car MAYBE a month and I already had the radio yanked out.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by knucklehead11
I just say that about aftermarket radios because I generally can't stand the sound of almost any factory stereo.

But yeah, by head unit I do mean replacing the whole radio unit. To do it, you get a radio adapter kit (plastic piece that fills in the hole where the radio was and the DIN hole for the new radio itself), wiring harness to connect the radio to the car. and a DIN cage to fit around the radio for it to mount to the adapter kit. That's about it.

I think I owned my car MAYBE a month and I already had the radio yanked out.

K11: Did you replace the lousy speakers too?? If you did, what kind did you go with?

Old 05-31-2009, 08:58 AM

I am putting Polk Audio DB571's in mine, I have the DB570's in my F150 and like the sound.
But Speakers will sound different to your ears than they do to mine.
If you are replacing the radio go to a store where you can try the Radio or 1 very similar with different speakers and find ones the sound good to you.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 PM

No I didn't replace my speakers 'cause I'm not too picky. Now if I decide in the future I want louder than what the head unit puts out (which obviously requires an amp to boost the power) then yeah I'd replace the speakers so they could handle the added output of the amp(s).

But another reason I haven't swapped them out is this: the subwoofer pretty much tackles all the bass, or almost all the bass, you need for your sound... which means you have mainly mids and highs for your cabin speakers. In turn, it's a MUCH MUCH less chance of blowing the speakers. That's why I didn't bother replacing them. They have been able to handle the highs and mids put out by my head unit. I did the same with my old Mustang: no speaker replacement.

Quick Reply: Can you switch the Sirius to XM Receiver