Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

can I make power please!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Default can I make power please!?

So just in the short time that I have been looking I have found very, very little for modifying my Mazda 3. It is a 2007 sedan 2.3L. Intakes are fine, but catbacks, headers are all 03-06, or 04-06.

What are my options for the catback exhaust and/or header?

OBX Header is for 04-06. Why won't this fit an 07?

I like the looks of the Vibrant Catback and the HKS Hi Power Catback. But again 04-06 and 03-06. Why not 07? what changed?

Suspension I already know and have dialed;
Stoptech slotted Front and rear rotors/ superblue brake fluid
Hotchkis Front and rear anti sways
BC Racing BR-type coilovers
Rota G-Force (advan RS knock offs) in a 17x8 +48 offset wrapped in 215/40R17 Falken Azenis RT-615 for summer tires.

Probably do a -1.7 camber in the front and -1.5 in the rear. 0 toe and +4.5 caster in the front.

Last edited by Stames_wiltz; 07-14-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:18 AM

You are mistakin sir...the above listed will also fit the 07 and up models, btw there is no 03 model, also you dont need to get those coilovers, just the mazdaspeed shocks and road magnet or eibach springs will do just fine w/o the even harsher ride. And as for getting any decent power out of these cars your going about it the wrong way, pm me if you have any questions

Old 07-14-2009, 09:33 AM

Thanks Tracker! I am not planning on making any significant power with my mazda 3. Intake, exhaust manifold back is plenty. My STi makes the power in the family, I am just looking to juice the Mazda up another 10-15 chp.

With my STi, I went to springs initially, and then to coilovers. It is night and day difference. Coilovers handle sooo much better and and the ride quality improved (on softer settings) than the springs. With how cheap the BC racing coilover is... its totally worth it.

Tracker, keeping it NA, what power mods would you suggest? I don't want to do the Tripoint turbo kit.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

What about a lightened flywheel and stage1 clutch? that would increase performance w/o affecting the driveability... especially if you don't go too light.
MS offers a 14 lber, Exedy an 11 lb, Findanzia (sp?) an 8 lb, but for my money that's a bit much (too light) for a Street car/DD, and especially to keep the ride and feel on the normal side of insane.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM

that is a good option. A street lite flywheel will help with revs and reduce some weight. Thanks for the idea.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 PM

You could also get the lightened crank, water pump and alternator pullies but that will cause a cel, as for basic bolt ons the standard is AEM or K&N cold air, obx header (you can only get the complete set from ebay) or a full (meaning exhaust mani back) vibrant exhaust system, a little bit more you could upgrade the motor mounts, get a balance shaft delete kit and like rich said upgraded clutch and lightened flywheel.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 AM

I would do the vibrant exhaust manifold back. I think that looks like a higher quality piece. Has there been any dyno's shown on what these cars are making?

Old 07-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

I have the Vib and I can attest to it's quality in both manufacture and sound. I love it, but it is on the pricey side and once the PCM "learns" it's there, I'm not sure you gain all that much power.
I never had my car dynoed, no.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 PM

with my listed suggestions you should see about 10-15whp increase you wont really feel that but what you will feel is the major difference in response and yes a nice pick up of mpg

Old 07-16-2009, 11:49 PM

I figured I wasn't going to see some massive 50 whp gain. Just a touch more pep was all I was looking for.

Virgin1 you say the Vibrant was pricey!?

My Cobb Tuning Turbo back Exhaust for my STi was $1,250.

Headers (good ones) are $700+
A nice up-pipe to the turbo from the header is $300+
Then you have the turbo back. $2,200

Then because you changed the dynamics you have to program the ECU. Get the AccessPort for $695 so with Taxes your at $3,000.

Modding the Mazda is Cheap! lol

Quick Reply: can I make power please!?