Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Default Cabin Filter

Is there a cheaper air filter that can be used for the cabin filter? Maybe one for a mobile home vent or a home personal air filter or maybe a regular auto air filter?

Also, I saw a How To on another site that did not require you to remove the glove box but without the pictures, it doesn't help much. Is there another How To out there without the box removal? I can't stomach $90 to replace this thing.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 PM

The filter is expensive because it is designed specifically to filter pollen.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:28 PM

The filter isn't $90, I paid $35 and thats from the dealer. The price you where quoted is probally for labor.

Last edited by vlstellato; 07-21-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 PM

How do you keep the pollen out when you open the freakin' doors/ windows?
IT'S A RIP OFF! What it REALLY does is keeps most of the dust from getting into the air ducting so when the A/C gets used for the first time in the season, you don't get so much of a mouldy/ musty smell from the condensate that's been trapped in the dust in the ducting.
I improvised two filters from a washable material and I just rinse them under the tap and chuck 'em into the clothes washer. Works fine for me, but just watch, I'm going to get swine flu and croak; serves me right for being so stingy.
P.S. The really "upscale" cars are now touting not pollen, but HEPA filters, no less!
Anyway, don't be such a lazy S.O.B. Do the job yourself, it takes 10 minutes (plus half an hour or so for getting rid of 1998 travel brochures, dead BIC lighters, dried out ball point pens, key chain flashlights with dead batteries, empty sun block and bug repellent containers, half-a-dozen depleted pine tree car scents etc. etc.) But the payoff is you'll find 3 working tire gauges!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Yep, not worried about pollen and HEPA filtration. I drive with the sunroof and windows open most of the time. I was going to do it cause it's on the maintenance schedule and I'd like to stick to it.
Yep, $90 was from the dealer. And even $35 for just the filter is crazy. The whole reason why I'm asking.
The How To I found that does not involve removing the glove box doesn't have the pictures anymore and the descriptions really need the pictures. If it is a maintenance item, it should be as simple as pull the panel off, pull a retaining clip, slide it out. But it doesn't seem to be quite that easy from what I'm seeing.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM

Aubrey,
You can buy the filter from the dealer for $38 plus tax, that's the only place I found to have it. I'm not going to lie to you but it is a pain in the a** to change, the filter acess door is located behind the center console on the passenger side near the firewall. I found detailed instructions on how to change it on the internet.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

I agree ($35, or more is too much) and am glad my '04 didn't come with one.
Why not just remove it and leave it out? It shouldn't be any worse than not having it in the first place?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Yeah, seeing as though I drive with the windows open most of the time, I don't suppose it matters much. Mostly to keep the vents 'cleaner' I suppose. Maybe I'll think about changing it when/if the blower doesn't feel as strong.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 AM

I like having the filter in this car. Keeps the dust accumulation down to a minimum. Interior does not require cleaning as much as say my wife's car.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure it helps, I just wouldn't want the expense, time and effort once a year to have to replace the thing. And around here in Texas, especially during the summer months it can get so dry (re: dusty) that it would no doubt need changing more often than usual. I've heard that they are a PITA to change. Why would they design something like that then make it difficult and/or time consuming to get to?
Plus the HVAC in mine is not the greatest ('04-'05. Weak A/C in particular) and that would add further resistance to the system.

Quick Reply: Cabin Filter