Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

A/C + possible clogged cabin filter = no cold air?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Default A/C + possible clogged cabin filter = no cold air?

Lately my air conditioning hasn't been cooling much, if at all. In the past few days I've just been sticking to driving with the windows open cause the outside air is cooler, lol. I went by Mazda to price parts for my girlfriend's 626 and mentioned the a/c issue. He said one possibility could be the cabin filter.

I'm not too knowledgeable about how often the cabin filter should be changed... but I figure at the mileage I'm at... it's time. The car isn't old... it's a 2008 1/2, but it has almost 73,000 miles (job related). It still has the factory cabin filter. Would a clogged cabin filter possible prevent the a/c system from cooling? He said some 3's have some sort of plastic piece between the cabin filter pieces as well that cause it but he said he wasn't sure which models.

If this is a possibility I'd rather replace these than go to an a/c service. I'm already not looking forward to ponying up the dollars to replace the valve cover gaskets on the 626.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Once every 12 months as I recall. I am not sure if there is a mileage recommendation as well.
My 04 doesn't have a cabin filter. Didn't come with one and don't want one. If I were you and that turns out to be the problem, I would throw that sucker away and not replace it with anything.
We got along just fine for 90+ years w/o a cabin air filter.

As for the 626, are you sure its not simply black RTV silicone? Many are these days.
In either case, your local parts store should be able to help alot cheaper than the dealer would.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1
Once every 12 months as I recall. I am not sure if there is a mileage recommendation as well.
My 04 doesn't have a cabin filter. Didn't come with one and don't want one. If I were you and that turns out to be the problem, I would throw that sucker away and not replace it with anything.
We got along just fine for 90+ years w/o a cabin air filter.

As for the 626, are you sure its not simply black RTV silicone? Many are these days.
In either case, your local parts store should be able to help alot cheaper than the dealer would.

I do have to say that the cabin air filter has served nicely during the times I had to work in La Porte. Driving down highway 225 through Pasadena and all that area sucks *** (gas refineries EVERYWHERE and even then it still smelled like poo the whole drive). Nearly gagged every time I drove down that highway.

On the 626... it's leaking pretty much everywhere, and recently it started leaking into the spark plug holes.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 PM

UPDATE: Replaced the cabin filter. Unfortunately this did not fix the cooling problem. However, for those who remember the issue I had with the fan (the fan would blow harder making left turns and then slow back down when I straightened the car)... I believe that is not an issue anymore. The fan blew a lot harder when I drove home after the service... so maybe it was hindering that some...

...so now I need to figure out if I have a leak somewhere or not...

Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 PM

UPDATE 2: Did a UV dye leak test. No leak anywhere. So now it's just a question of whether it just needs recharging or not.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by knucklehead11
I do have to say that the cabin air filter has served nicely during the times I had to work in La Porte. Driving down highway 225 through Pasadena and all that area sucks *** (gas refineries EVERYWHERE and even then it still smelled like Poohh the whole drive). Nearly gagged every time I drove down that highway.
The cabin filter is not there to eliminate smells. It's not a room deodorizer, only a pollen and dust filter, like any air filter.

Is it possible that the compressor is not kicking on? If it isn't:
1) Modern cars have a pressure cut-out switch or sensor that does not allow voltage to flow to the electric compressor clutch if there is not enough coolant in the system. And...
2) That the previous fan switch problem, or whatever it was, is also causing the compressor to not see voltage full time? You may have a high resistance somewhere in there causing the compressor to not see full, or intermittent voltage. Or....
3) To my way of thinking, you know how the A/C cuts out momentarily when the accelerator pedal is depressed more than about half way, under hard acceleration? Is it possible yours is being over-active due to a software loss or glitch of some sort?

Just my .02.

Last edited by virgin1; 06-12-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Ignore my last post. I erased it if you didn't see it.

No the compressor is not engaging come to find out. I thought it was but it wasn't.

Last edited by knucklehead11; 06-13-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:15 PM

Good to go. Finally gave up and had pep boys look at it when i discovered how cheap their charge to check the system was. Turns out a wire from the interior switch was the culprit.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, but that's because you are a kNuCkLeHeAd, Gary!!
(I think I'll start all my replies to you this way in the furture.)

See? I might bet that it was the cause of the other problem too. WhadoUthink?

Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 PM

lol...