Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Default Backup Camera

My wife purchased a new 2013 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring 4 door sedan back in May of this year. When we were shopping for cars, I was surprised that the Mazda3 did not even offer a backup camera as an option, as even the small Ford Focus now has one. Anyway, at the time we decided it wasn't a deal breaker, since she really liked the Mazda.

Unfortunately, a couple months ago my wife went blind in her left eye and is now doing very limited driving. A backup camera would really benefit her at this time. I know that you can purchase cameras that replace your rearview mirror and put the display actually on the mirror. However, she has already said she does not want that.

Does anyone know if there's anyone who sells a backup camera that would automatically integrate with the existing display she has? It seems like a fairly easy thing to do - mount a camera in the back, run the wire and somehow tie into the lcd display. It would trigger automatically when she puts it in reverse (tie into the reverse light switch). It sounds easy on paper, I know, but I'm sure is much more technical. I would think someone has tried this or knows how to do this. Or, do you have to purchase a whole new head unit in order to do something like this?

Any help is appreciated, as my wife could really benefit from this due to her vision loss.