Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Auxilary problems??? ITS NOT SAT EITHER.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Question Auxilary problems??? ITS NOT SAT EITHER.

I have a mazda 3 2008 , the regular looking car, not the one with the flat back, haha im sorry, i think its the speed that i DONT have. but anyways. i had gotten in a crash recently, it took out my door and kinda bent in my side bumper. before that, my auxiliary was working fine. i was using a griffin auxiliary cable. i hardly use my ipod, i listen to my droid, because obviously, droid is better. i mean, is iphone connected to its own satellite? no. so bye apple. you have very nice laptops. im using it now. i love it. OFF TOPIC. okay no im serious, i need a quick response. i dont have sat. so thats not the issue here. but after the crash, i took it to service king. its back today. i bought another griffin cable, and the aux ISNT WORKING. whats happening? please tell me ANYTHING or then, goto the dealer, or back to service king. i had to visit service king 2 times today after i got it because the speaker got unplugged the track up button broke. i dont think they would like to see me again. so heres the basic thing i need help with my aux had worked before, with my droid or ipod, but now it doesnt, is there anything i can do other than visiting a dealer or buying something for that costs more than 40$ that i need to install?

Last edited by transformermazda; 08-31-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

When you push the MEDIA button on your HU does the LCD display change (i.e. switch to the Aux function) or does it just act as if you didn't push anything? If it's the latter then it's possible that the ACI cable in the back of the HU came slightly loose in your crash. I'd recommend pulling the HU and unplugging/replugging the connection and see if that doesn't address your issues. Pulling the HU is really easy and can be done in less than five minutes (maybe ten minutes your first time lol) and all you need is a phillips head screwdriver.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Cool

Yeah it says aux! But my cd changerlooks like this (in attachment) and how in the world do I open that up?!?! (16 year old girl here... not a car mechanic... hahahahaha)

Attached Thumbnails Auxilary problems??? ITS NOT SAT EITHER.-img_20100831_224532.jpg  
Old 09-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by transformermazda
Yeah it says aux! But my cd changerlooks like this (in attachment) and how in the world do I open that up?!?! (16 year old girl here... not a car mechanic... hahahahaha)
Hmmm. If it's displaying "AUX" when you push the MEDIA button then that means the connection at the back of the HU should be fine..... or at least it's making enough connection that it recognizes something plugged into it.

So confirm for me if you will:
1) Were both the droid and the ipod being plugged in via the 3.5mm (read: headphone connection) jack in the arm rest, or do you have an ipod module (i.e. connects to the ipod's dock connector)? For the sake of my other questions I'll assume you're using the 3.5mm plug.

2) After a collision you took your car to a Service King (a body shop I assume). When it came back: A) the speaker didn't work (just one? All?), B) the track up button on the HU didn't work, and C) the audio input (ACI) didn't work.

3) You took it back to Service King for the speaker and track button..... did they address these?

4) When you hit MEDIA the LCD displays AUX (or some such), but no audio comes out.

5) You tried a different 3.5mm audio cable but still no audio on the MEDIA function.

First off I'm not really sure why your wreck would have caused any issues with the HU, especially with the button. I mean wtf? Do you know if the ACI worked after the wreck but before going to the body shop? In any case it's possible that a connection was either jarred loose, either partially or fully causing it to give you issues. I'd suggest checking the connection at the back of the HU, and under the plug at the armrest end. For this you'd need to disconnect the plug and then reconnect it.

For the plug at the back of the HU you'll obviously need to remove the HU from the dash. This is really easy, requires only a phillips head screwdriver, and will take only a few minutes.
- Open the glove compartment
- Remove the dash strip. This is held by 4-5 tension clips and one hook.
- grab the bottom of the strip on the left of the glove compt. (right of the LCD) and pull back to release the clips. Don't pull the far right back.
- once the clips between the LCD and right side are loose gently flex the strip to disengage the hook on the far right of the strip.
- disconnect the last clip to the left of the LCD.
- Remove the two phillips head screws above the HU. Note there are four screws here, two for the HU, and two for the section of dash above it. You only need to remove the ones for the HU.
- Grab the top of the HU (not the face plate itself!!!!!) and pull firmly towards the back of the car to release the tension clips holding it. Once it's partially out be careful not to let the HU's frame scratch the dash to either side of the opening.
- There should be three connections on the back: main harness (big plug) antenna (small round), and ACI (small rect. plug).
- Unplug the ACI plug (it's pretty hard to get out) and plug it back in firmly.
- See if that fixes your problem (you can just sit the HU in the opening, you don't have to fully reinstall it to test).

To check the armrest end:
- Open the armrest compartment
- Set the parking brake (remove any items from the cup holders)
- Grab the front edge of the armrest compt (back edge of the cupholder section) and pull upwards to release the tension clips. The gear shift surround may come up with the cupholders but you can just pop the two sections loose. Slide the cupholders up off of the ebrake handle and set aside.
- This is where I'm hazy as I've not seen one in person. The ACI connection should be accessible from there by reaching back.... should be obvious where it is. I believe there's a connection that plugs into the back of the plug in the armrest. Again unplug and replug. You may also be able to pop the panel (that has the 3.5mm connection) loose from the hole and into the armrest compartment.

Let me know what happens.