Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

all mazda 3's have tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

Hmmmm. Well put, Gary!

However I have been disappointed in the autos I have driven, primarily a brand new 2008 6i VE... two of them as a matter of fact.
They shifted up way too quick on its own for a very dull ride, and way too slow (up or down) when I "asked" it to.

I will admit I never really tried the sport shift. If I did, I don't remember doing so lol.

By the way Rich if anyone didn't tell you I'm not with Nestle anymore, that's why I haven't been around in months lol.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 AM

Hmmmm. Well put, Gary!

However I have been disappointed in the autos I have driven, primarily a brand new 2008 6i VE... two of them as a matter of fact.
They shifted up way too quick on its own for a very dull ride, and way too slow (up or down) when I "asked" it to.

Problem with that is the "adaptive learning", first time a car is driven everything is set too soft, drive it aggressive (a couple of times) and car shifts at a higher rpm (in full auto), vvt works sooner etc etc. all for the sake of economy

Old 12-29-2010, 12:57 PM

Hmmmm. Well put, Gary!

Did I ever tell you about when I drove my mom's 6? She bought a 2008 6 literally 2 or 3 months (literally as in we have the same payment due date too lol) after I bought my 2008 3 new. When I first saw it she let me test drive it. You're not kidding. Slushbox like crazy. My car felt like it could kill it in a race any day. I also test drove a used 6, I think it was a 2006, with the V6 and 6 speed automatic. Definitely better, but it was raining like a **** that day so I couldn't really push it and see what it could do.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:23 PM

if hers in a 2.3 then yeah you would beat it, the v6 is extremely quick despite that fact that the engine is literally suffocated by the stock intake. worse part about it is if it notices any increase of air flow aside from cracking the intake box lid, an immediate cel comes on for the v6 versions.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tracker
if hers in a 2.3 then yeah you would beat it, the v6 is extremely quick despite that fact that the engine is literally suffocated by the stock intake. worse part about it is if it notices any increase of air flow aside from cracking the intake box lid, an immediate cel comes on for the v6 versions.
LAME!

And yes she has the 2.3L. The car was brand spankin' new when I drove it though, so maybe, since it has had time to do any adaptive learning, as you mentioned, then maybe it's a little more agressive on its shifts. I think my mom pushes her car to be more aggressive than when I choose to shift mine.

Overall, I have a manual, which puts me in control. That's how I like it and it will stay

On the other hand, since we are talking about 6's... this may be a little off, but my girlfriend drives a 626. I don't know how the 2.5L V6 compares to the 6's 3.0L but, keeping in mind my Mazda3 would kill my mom's Mazda6 in a race, my girlfriend's 626 leaves my car behind crying like a little bitch with envy to have a V6 lol

Now the new Mazda6 with the 3.7L, mmmm... I wanna test drive one of those.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:45 AM

well the older v6's are the same as the 3.0l just more displacement, and more tech in it. I havent looked at the 3.7 because i have a strong feeling it wont be as fast or responsive as honda/acuras tl. Now givin that its a huge 6cyl which SHOULD produce a nice amount of tq but thanks to the electronic throttle body id be surprised if its faster that the older models off the line, mid range and top end though id imagine it would scoot pretty dam good....well for 2 gears atleast then fall on its face on the 5th and 6th gear

Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tracker
well the older v6's are the same as the 3.0l just more displacement, and more tech in it. I havent looked at the 3.7 because i have a strong feeling it wont be as fast or responsive as honda/acuras tl. Now givin that its a huge 6cyl which SHOULD produce a nice amount of tq but thanks to the electronic throttle body id be surprised if its faster that the older models off the line, mid range and top end though id imagine it would scoot pretty dam good....well for 2 gears atleast then fall on its face on the 5th and 6th gear
The lame thing about it is that they only come with automatic. Boo!