Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

Tiptronic Vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:45 AM
Default Tiptronic Vs. Manual

I'm looking to buy a 2004 Mazda RX8 and having a hard time deciding between Tiptronic or a Manual transmission. I'm just curious to which would be faster for a 0-60mph and 1/4 mile. There is a lot of forums which go back and forth on which is faster, some say the tiptronic is a faster shift while others say it isn't and that it is delayed so I'm not sure if it varies from car to car or what. Please help me :P

Old 11-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tiptronic Vs. Manual

If you are looking to drag the car, a modified automatic is your best choice. But in day-to-day, or track driving, I would choose the manual, hands down!
The tip-tronic is still nothing but an automatic trans (slush-box, dog-o-matic.Take your pick) w/a shifter designed to be manually shifted. It's the shifter that"s different, not the transmission.
It does not compensate fordownshifts (match speeds/blip the throttle) so it is very slow to downshift, nor is it particularly quick at up-shifting in manual mode either. It"s more gimmick than new technology.
Until Mazda decides to get off it"s *** and design/offer a 6-7 speed DSG, I would stay with the manual all the way... especiallyin a Sports car DD.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:26 AM

sounds good, looks like manual it is

Old 11-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

I don"t think you"ll be sorry. They are MUCH more fun to drive, and just a bit thriftier on fuel too. Plus you get the direct, power-onfeel of the manual. Great for a sporty car.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

+1 to everything Richard just said. Unless I move into the middle of a city, I'll always be choosing a manual. The only exceptions are some of the new ATX's used in high end cars..... those can absolutely fantastic. The computer's in those can shift in a fraction of a second (way faster than any manual shift) and can be a dream to drive. The only good ATX I've driven was in a 335i which was awesome. Still being how much TQ that car had I'd have preferred a manual just to avoid the lurch when you first hit the gas. Hmmm, now that I think about it the manual version of that car is a SMT without a clutch pedal so perhaps that wouldn't help. lol

Old 11-26-2008, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: icspots

Hmmm, now that I think about it the manual version of that car is a SMT without a clutch pedal so perhaps that wouldn't help. lol
Really? Was that a recent change? I drove a 2008335i and it definitely had three pedals under the dash and six gates for the shifter that went forward (and one for reverse of course).

Old 11-26-2008, 03:02 PM

Yeah I want it to be the most sporty it could be so judging by your guys posts the manual 6 speed transmission would be best?

Old 11-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shipo

Really? Was that a recent change? I drove a 2008335i and it definitely had three pedals under the dash and six gates for the shifter that went forward (and one for reverse of course).
Not a change, Dale, an option.The traditional 6-speed is available, standard I believe, but BMW has a 7-speed SMT available now in the 3 series.

*edit, and Ooops!* If you are buying an M3 or M5..... Shoulda' checked my facts first. My memory ain"t what it used to be. And BTW: It"s ONLY a $2900 option too!!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:14 PM

the main thing is that the tranny has to slip in some way to keep the engine from dying. that is what makes a manual better than an auto or manumatic/tiptronic. you control the tranny slipping by clutching, so it doesn't waste any of the energy on having to turn a torque converter to make the tires spin. anything without a clutch is wasting energy on a heavy torque converter.