Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

27,000 miles ENGINE LIGHT ON- UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Default 27,000 miles ENGINE LIGHT ON- UPDATE

GUYS, I have an 04 mazda 3 hatchback and last night the engine light came on, please explain what is could possible be and why . There is no CAI /ENGINE mods.

Can I drive the car as the dealership service areas are closed ? How can I fix ?

THANKS FOR THE HELP

Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 27,000 miles ENGINE LIGHT ON- HELP PLZE

Annoying, isn't it? I HATE that light!!! Mine came on shortly after installing the Mazdaspeed CAI for the first time in nearly 3 years of ownership... just whatI was trying to avoid by buying the MS in the first place.
Here's what I found and so far it's behaved itself: Pull out the MAF sensor (CAREFULLY!!! No damage required.) Look at the bulb on one side of it (it looks like a drop of old brown school glue.) Get UR favorite rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip. Carefully (CAREFULLY!!!) clean it all around, then when it drys a bit, reinstall and reconnect. Don't forget to reconnect it.
After 33,5K miles mine was rather dirty though I didn't notice it when I installed the CAI.

Hope that solves your problem as it seems to have solved mine.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:53 AM

virgin, thanks for the quick reply. Where is that sensor located so i can check it ?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:40 AM

virgin, i read some of the posts regarding the issue and 1 advised of the issue caused by a loose gas cap/ not tightened properly. I had just goten some gas and within a few miles it came on. I just checked the cap and it was not tight so i tightened it up . The light is still on so how can I make it go off ? Do u think this is the cause ? Should i drive the car ?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

On the stock intake it's held on by 2 phillips head screws on the top airbox/filter cover. The wide connector has to be released by pushing down on a tab. Sometimes, especially if it's never beenreleased before, a screwdriver will help release it. But as always in these cases, be carefull how you use the screwdriver so as not to damage anything and create more problems for yourself.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:59 AM

i think that once the CEL comes on, you have to disconnect the negative terminal for a few seconds and press down the brakes a few times? am i right?

Old 11-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Wellnow, that could very well be it! I've not had that problem myself, but have also read about it happening.

When I was having my problem it came on after 55 miles, but then went off againafter I disconnected the MAF plug and reconnected it... w/o disconnecting the battery, only to have it reappear 200 miles later. That's when I pulled the MAF.
However, that said, also try what SPeeDy suggests, only leave it off for at least 10 mins after draining as much juice out of the system as you can. i.e. depressing the brake pedal several times. A few seconds won't do it. As I understand it, the ECU has capacitors in it (like all electronics) that need to be fully discharged to reset itself, so the longer the better.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:18 PM

CEL from a loose gas cap is very common. You can disconnect your battery for 10 minutes (resets all your radio stuff) or you can borrow a code reader from an auto parts store and it will clear the codes for you.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:42 PM

Agree with SSTLAURE ... try the simplest solution first. Take your gas cap off, then put back in, making sure it is tight. Then disconnect your battery for 10 mins, and reconnect. See if the light comes back on.

My has gas cap did not seem loose ... but whatever the reason the light came on, it has not come back on. If something is truly in need of being checked out, the light will come back on.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:47 PM

Thanks guys for the quick replies, i will try it and let you know the outcome

Quick Reply: 27,000 miles ENGINE LIGHT ON- UPDATE