Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2019 Mazda3 Navigation (Preferred package)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Default 2019 Mazda3 Navigation (Preferred package)

Just purchased a 2019 Mazda 3 with the "preferred" package options. A few questions...

1) The salesman said the navigation is not part of this package. Is this true? When I go to the navigation page menu it says the SD card can be an added accessory. So if I get the SD card will it work?
2) My android connected to the info center but I thought it was also supposed to duplicate the google maps on my phone on the info center like when I ask for directions? Mine does not.

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Old 05-19-2019, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

SD card is the key to unlocking the sat nav system.

Can you open & operate android Auto on the MZD screen?

Old 05-19-2019, 09:46 PM

I finally got the Android talking with the info center, and the maps look good coming from the phone. I see that the SD chip can be found on Amazon for around $100. It is worth it?
Thanks for your reply !

Old 05-20-2019, 11:10 AM

I contacted Mazda a few months back asking about the Navigation. They told me that it is optional since Android Auto and Apple Car Play is included. The sales person was correct.

I have the standard Mazda navigation in my 2015 Mazda 3 and no Apple Car Play. While it is far from perfect, I would not go without it. - Again, I don't have Apple Car Play or Android Auto.

The question is: How does the Android system work for you? If it works good, the Mazda system is of limited value.

My concerns would be:
  • Do you live in an area where you have sufficient phone service to depend on the Android system. (I suspect the answer for most people is yes. I am out in the boondocks so service is spotty.)
  • What are the data charges for using the Android system? (I suspect it is minimal and for most people not relevant. - my primary phone is an employer phone and I would rather not have the data usage regardless of how minimal.)
  • How easy is it to access the Android based navigation?

I suggest you give the Android system a try for a while with a few map systems until you find one you like. If you find something missing, ask us if the problem would exist with the Mazda system.

Congratulations on your new Mazda. The Preferred trim level, especially with AWD, seems to me to be the best value.