Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2015 Mazda 3 2.5 GT - Clunking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Default 2015 Mazda 3 2.5 GT - Clunking noise?

Hello all,

Just recently noticed my Mazda 3 2.5 (automatic) has started making a clunking noise during initial acceleration. Only happens if you accelerate very slowly and only occurs up into part of second gear...
Its a noise that would probably go unnoticed if you weren’t really paying attention, but it’s noticeable enough for me. I’ve also noticed if I blip the throttle a bit and immediately let off, it will clunk as well (not a sound of it engaging/disengaging gear, but rather almost sounds like a motor mount is loose or something is slapping into each other). Also, if I am climbing up a hill, it is more inclined to make these same noises. I can also get it to do it if I place the vehicle in manual mode (usually first of second gear only) and again, hold the revs high and blip on and off the throttle it sounds like something isn’t engaging correctly or, as said before, the sound a vehicle makes when there is a broken motor mount. Just a general clunking or metal on metal noise. Sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side near the wheel.
I’ve also noticed at times, specifically when the engine is under load, like when going uphill and when racing the engine a little, it sounds as if there is a lot of clicking going on up into the high revs, again from the same general location. I’m pretty certain this clicking is not a rod knock, but one could be confused into thinking so. One could liken the clicking to having a playing card stuck in a bicycle tire...
does anyone have any input into what this could be? one of my buddies who helps me with my mechanical work said he thought it might be an axle....

Old 05-01-2019, 09:23 AM

Did you ever learn anything about this or did it become a bigger issue? think I am noticing something similar with my 2014