Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Tribute V6 2004 - Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Default Tribute V6 2004 - Clunking Noise

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so I'm hoping you all may be able to guide me.

For the past month I have had a clunking noise in my front end, usually noticable at slower speeds and going over a speed bumps etc. Sounds like something is loose, but after having the steering linkage and everything related to this checked out, everything is tight and appears fine.

There was one mechanic that says it sounds like it is coming from inside the rack box, and he also stated that it felt as though something was tapping inside of the rack.

Has anyone else heard of this, or had this same problem? I have 90,000 miles on my Tribute, and it has been a good car up til this point. Everyone tells me it is safe to drive, but it sure doesn't sound safe. Any insight about this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!!!

Lucia

Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM

I would check your sway bar links and lower control arm bushings they are bad for both
Grab the vehicle at the top of the drivers door with it shut and rock the back and forth if you hear the clunking grab the sway bar see if you feel it. But it could also be the right engine mount i have had the mount clunk over bumps.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will give it a try.

Lucia

Old 05-21-2010, 08:05 PM

It is likely the sway bar links. They are known for going bad prematurely.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Smile Thanks!!!

Yep, it was definitely the sway bar links.... I had them replaced and no more noise at all.

Thanks for the help!!! :-)

Old 07-30-2021, 09:11 PM
Default Clunking sound while car is on (front end)

I have a 2004 tribute lx V6 and I purchased it as a fixer upper but I've never experienced something like this whenever I start the car the car makes a sort of clunking it's pretty loud and distinctive but its sounds like something is let's say bouncing around the bell housing well anyways the car drives perfect except at stops it dies out the clunking sound proceeds is every gear and in park car goes through gears perfectly and there is no transmission slip could a transmission component be loose or backed out rattling around? I'll update the post at a later time with video of the car running for more clarification

Old 02-21-2022, 06:51 PM
Default Question for Josedelgado

Originally Posted by Josedelgado
I have a 2004 tribute lx V6 and I purchased it as a fixer upper but I've never experienced something like this whenever I start the car the car makes a sort of clunking it's pretty loud and distinctive but its sounds like something is let's say bouncing around the bell housing well anyways the car drives perfect except at stops it dies out the clunking sound proceeds is every gear and in park car goes through gears perfectly and there is no transmission slip could a transmission component be loose or backed out rattling around? I'll update the post at a later time with video of the car running for more clarification
Did you ever figure out what it was?

Old 03-04-2022, 11:34 AM

For LDimples,

The poster you're asking checked in last 3 days after posting. From --> their <-- symptoms and the age of vehicle it could be just as simple as long overdue for the front coil struts. It's just periodic wear & maint. and I replaced mine 6 years ago.