Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2014 Mazda3 - severe problems with nav system

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 04:25 PM

to get the direction-finding to start chatting to help you makes change at any time.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by wts3849
Just for the heads up, 2014 M3 navigation comes with 2 traffic info without needs of WiFi.
What I expect from radio traffic updates is:

1) Time to destination will update based on the traffic along the current route

2) Nav will automatically re-route if there is a way around a traffic jam

Garmin & TomTom have been doing this for years and it works great. What this NAVTEQ system has is very primitive by comparison.

Look through your music/audio files on those USB drives for non alphanumeric characters. Stuff like %, *, ; etc. These seem to trip up the system and lead to the crash you're experiencing.
I'd be very surprised if this is the cause. I have a few thousand songs in Japanese (title/artist etc. are in Kanji) and the system has no trouble displaying the kanji on the screen and playing the files. I never had a crash while playing any of these songs either.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jettoblack
What I expect from radio traffic updates is:

1) Time to destination will update based on the traffic along the current route

2) Nav will automatically re-route if there is a way around a traffic jam

Garmin & TomTom have been doing this for years and it works great. What this NAVTEQ system has is very primitive by comparison.
Oh, yes, that's what you were talking about, then 2014 M3 traffic info system is a sheer garbage. I would love to have that kind of traffic info, too as I hardly find the traffic info useful.

Originally Posted by jettoblack
I'd be very surprised if this is the cause. I have a few thousand songs in Japanese (title/artist etc. are in Kanji) and the system has no trouble displaying the kanji on the screen and playing the files. I never had a crash while playing any of these songs either.
I am playing Japanese and Korean songs as well. Though individual song names are not displayed correctly, the main big titles (singer/album info) display well. And I don't think those special letters are causing system crash, either.

What I kind of suspect as a common cause of the crash is that:

1. When you use a USB drive with some automatic driver installation application in it, not a mere SD/miniSD card with adapter.
2. When the songs are not completely downloaded and has some missing bytes in it.

But again, it's just my suspicion from experiences.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:51 PM

My 3 is just three weeks new to me and the radio preset stations have disappeared twice now and when using the USB for music it has frozen a couple times. Has anyone had their issues fixed yet?

Old 11-27-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Linedanci
My 3 is just three weeks new to me and the radio preset stations have disappeared twice now and when using the USB for music it has frozen a couple times. Has anyone had their issues fixed yet?
Hi Linedanci, I'm having the same issues and have been in contact with Mazda support but there has been no fix mentioned yet.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Default Hope

Mazda service called me and said he received a software update that is supposed to fix the nav and other problems so I am taking it in tomorrow, I'll post when I know for sure if it worked. Check with your service dept! Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Old 12-01-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Linedanci
Mazda service called me and said he received a software update that is supposed to fix the nav and other problems so I am taking it in tomorrow, I'll post when I know for sure if it worked. Check with your service dept! Have a nice Thanksgiving!
^Can you let me know how this update goes? Got back from a roadtrip this weekend to Sedona AZ, and spent lots of time trying to work with the Nav system. Got it functioning as a decent overhead moving map with upcoming exit info, but it's really non-intuitive and broken at finding new destinations.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Well I had the software update done the day after Thanksgiving and I have not lost the preset stations on the radio nor has the radio froze using the USB drive. The update was supposed to fix Navigation issues too but I cannot attest to that since I have not used it. The update took all of 15 min at the dealership. No more complaints from me at this time. I suggest calling your local dealership and get the software update ASAP. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Default What is the version of the Infotainment update?

Don't want to make a trip to dealer if my car just off the ship already has the latest version.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 PM

I had mine updated yesterday. Took less than 1 hour.

Since then, no more hiccups or shut downs. Even the transition between the modes seem much faster and smoother.

Also, I told the service dept. to take a look at my back seat for loose fastening, they did not want to help me out on that. They just say they can not do anything unless there is an immediate issue from it.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mazda3 - severe problems with nav system