Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2010 Mazda3 Revealed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Default 2010 Mazda3 Revealed!!!

Well, that was quick. We just wrote how the next-generation Mazda3 was 90 percent complete and now it seems it’s a 100 percent complete. Mazda has just dropped the first official photos along with a brief press release on the 2010 Mazda3 - which will make its official debut at the 2008 LA Auto Show next month.

As you can see from the images the 2010 Mazda3 has been completely redesigned with a new front and rear fascia. The front reminds us the new 2009 Mazda6 while the rear takes some cues from the Mazda2 sedan.

The 2010 Mazda3 range-topper will get a new 2.5 liter engine (replacing the outgoing 2.3 liter). Official horsepower ratings will be announced next month in LA. Mazda will also offer the U.S. an entry level 2.0 liter. Mazda said the five-door hatchback will follow the sedan “in line with Mazda’s global sales schedule.”

Click through for more photos

Source: eGMCarTech

Old 10-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Default RE: 2010 Mazda3 Revealed!!!

I don't like the new look that much, on the basis that it is not particularly unique. Many cars have extended headlights. The rear end looks a bit fat (at least based on the one photo I reached via your link), the oversized tail lights look more odd than cool.

Putting a 2.5 in this car, when many already won't buy the 2.3 due to fuel economy concerns, not sure that's gonna generate sales. Maybe its the Ford influence ... why put out a fuel efficient compactcar to compete better with Honda and Toyota, that might, oh, I don't know, MAKE SENSE. I thought perhapstheywould put their 1.8 as the base engine in the next generation 3, to reach "economy compact" drivers.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA

I don't like the new look that much, on the basis that it is not particularly unique. Many cars have extended headlights. The rear end looks a bit fat (at least based on the one photo I reached via your link), the oversized tail lights look more odd than cool.

Putting a 2.5 in this car, when many already won't buy the 2.3 due to fuel economy concerns, not sure that's gonna generate sales. Maybe its the Ford influence ... why put out a fuel efficient compact car to compete better with Honda and Toyota, that might, oh, I don't know, MAKE SENSE. I thought perhaps they would put their 1.8 as the base engine in the next generation 3, to reach "economy compact" drivers.
Mazda's MO has new been the mot economical...though you are right. I thought they'd go for a simple 1.8L base and a 2.0L VVT in the HB. Then again, what do you and I know? We're only consumers, right?

Old 10-09-2008, 02:32 AM
ems

that looks nasty!, in a good way. The sleaker rear end and nose along with the dual exhaust. Also, there is no molding on the sides, just some sweet lines that give the car attitude. 2.5 liters as well, maybe 180 hp?!, that would be sweet.Well done mazda!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA
Putting a 2.5 in this car, when many already won't buy the 2.3 due to fuel economy concerns, not sure that's gonna generate sales. Maybe its the Ford influence ... why put out a fuel efficient compactcar to compete better with Honda and Toyota, that might, oh, I don't know, MAKE SENSE. I thought perhapstheywould put their 1.8 as the base engine in the next generation 3, to reach "economy compact" drivers.
I agree that Mazda should offer the 2.0 in the HB in this country, and maybe the 1.8L as a base sedan engine. Anything less would make these cars lethargic.
Overall though I like the increased engine size and especially the power. One of the reasons that magazines have been overlooking the 3 lately, especially the N/A 3,is that while fun to drive it"s still pretty slow. You really have to push it to get some go happening.
For 04 and 05 model years, Mazda claimed the 2.0 put out 150hp/138lbft torque, and the 2.3 was rated @ 160/150. That translates to 75hp/liter and 69.56hp/liter, respectively. Not bad, but could be more efficient, right? The 2.0 being more hp efficient by means of a lower rotating mass, and a shorter stroke, but suffers torque losses for the same reasons.
By 06 those figures had dropped to 148/???tq and 156/150tq respectively, the PZEV engines even less,and have stayed there since while the mileage (adjusting for the change in EPA testing regs) has not improved. W/the drop in hp, the math is 74hp/liter and 67.83! Still the 2.0 is more efficient overall.
The new 2.5 is claimed to have 170hp/167tq, except inATX equipped car in 11 states, where thepower drops to168/166tq. That's68hp/L and 67.2hp/L respectively. I have probably gained that much power in mine, and more w/just a few bolt-ons.
In the mean time, all these cars are getting HEAVIER, especially the new 6 series??? I"d bet the new 3 series will be heavier than the old one too. What"s to be gained?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 AM

Finally, the new 3 is now naked. I think they did a good job (overall) in terms of exterior styling. I can live with the slightly sticked-out headlight and taillight, but man I hate that black fog light housing extruding out. what does it do anyway? Making it flush with bumper would be much nicer.

From the pictures, i saw the lock hole on the passenger side door, and it also seems that's smart key entry (two "buttons" showing up on the driver door, one could be open-door-request button.)

(edit: And the windshield nozzles are gone from the hood, a good thing, eh? also hope the 2.0L engine would be direct injection)

(edit again: i don't see the hi-beam......could the HID lamp be a pair of bi-xenon? also the dash board vent seems to be wider, which is also good)

________
Novana Residence Condo

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

I agree about the fog light housing. 'Pretty silly looking if you"d ask me.

I put together a chart of the various engines available in the US, their hp output and EPA mileage estimates, but I can"t get it to upload here. It always comes out breaking up the table? We really need that software upgrade here....
In short, the 2.0L from "04-"05 seems to be the most efficient in hp/L and mileage figures, but of course lackluster in torque.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:51 PM

looks better than the current sedan that for sure

Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 PM
VB

The shot in the OP make it look very 350Z-ish with the sloping hood.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

I thought I saw a lil' S2000 in there (the front end treatment) too, though a pumped-up S2000.

Quick Reply: 2010 Mazda3 Revealed!!!