Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2007 Mazda3 and MP3/IPod

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Default 2007 Mazda3 and MP3/IPod

I own the 2007 Mazda3, which is wired in the center console to allow an MP3/Ipod to easily plug in.

I do not own an MP3/Ipod, but am thinking of getting one. Questions to those who use one in their 2007 Mazda3:

1. Does it matter if you buy the Apple Ipod, or will any brand of MP3 player work well?

2. How good is the functionality? Doesreally good information feed into thedashboard (ie. track information, menus, playlists) from the player?

3. Any other comments/tips?

Old 04-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2007 Mazda3 and MP3/IPod

Well either your dealer has been spewing incorrect information at you, or you just haven't looked into stuff yet. Either way we can help you out.

All 2007 models come standard with a 3.5mm audio input jack, called the ACI (Auxiliary Console Input) by Mazda. It's a simple audio input and does not afford any integration (i.e.- track display, control of your player from the stereo controls, etc.) to your device. So you plug in your Mp3 player (or whatever device you're using) and you still have to control everything from the device. In effect you've just turned your car into a big set of headphones.

Since it's just a 3.5mm jack (read: headphone jack) you can plug in any device that you can adapt to that size. (discman, Mp3 player, walkman, computer, satellite radio, etc) It's not ipod specific so if you're not looking for integrated controls then don't feel pressured to buy ipod as there are lots of great Mp3 player options available. Also bear in mind that the sound quality you get will depend entirely on the quality of the Mp3 you have on your player.

If you are looking for integrated controls then currently the only options are for the ipod. Check out my audio input thread here for details on all of the available methods. Note that none of the methods available display any track information on the stereo's LCD.

Hope that helps you out. Feel free to toss up some more questions.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:14 AM

I'd like to believe you are wrong, icspots, but you seem to be on top of this.

Since I don't want to shell out for both an Ipod and an integrated controldevice (and installation), where I will continue to live is in the world of burning my own CDs. I potentially could buy a cheap MP3 player for use on longer trips, but since I could not control the playing of the songs from my dash/steering wheel, even that seems like a waste of cash.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:32 PM

I for one LOVE the auxillary port because you can plug any audio device into it. Yes you still have to controll it from the device but what better is it hearing it through the speakers and not dealing with stacks of CD's. This Easter I plugged my laptop into the port and listened to Family Guy Episodes. (I have seen every episode in the neighborhood of 15 times so I don't need to see the episode to know what is going on...I know...sad).

The only thing that can suck about the Aux port is that if you are charging something on the provided 12v source next to the port you can get static at higher speeds though the Aux port.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA

I'd like to believe you are wrong, icspots, but you seem to be on top of this.

Since I don't want to shell out for both an Ipod and an integrated controldevice (and installation), where I will continue to live is in the world of burning my own CDs. I potentially could buy a cheap MP3 player for use on longer trips, but since I could not control the playing of the songs from my dash/steering wheel, even that seems like a waste of cash.
You can believe I'm wrong, but in the end I'll still be right. :P j/k Another option for you is a Mp3/discman. Burn your own CD's and stick them in the player and plug that into the ACI. Sure it isn't pretty but you should be able to hide it in the armrest and put it on random. You can most likely get as much music (if not more) out of a Mp3 CD than you can from 6 regular CD's...... plus if it shuffles well then you can listen to all of them together vs. the 6CD which won't shuffle between discs. As to not wanting to control your (etherial) Mp3 player just remember that most people make a playlist and hit shuffle. I do that with my Mp3 player and don't really have any problems with it. Realistically I very rarely push any buttons on my Mp3 player with the exception of occasionally skipping a song if I don't feel like listening to it.

ORIGINAL: Draconius
The only thing that can suck about the Aux port is that if you are charging something on the provided 12v source next to the port you can get static at higher speeds though the Aux port.
To correct that problem you just need to install a ground loop isolator in line with the audio input. Crutchfield sells a 3.5mm-3.5mm one for about $17.... they're the only 3.5mm GLI I've seen available.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:04 PM

I use my ipod in my car while i'm driving using that aux port. It has good quality sound and you can use it on any mp3 with a headphone jack. I've had no problems with it so far

Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: icspots

Note that none of the methods available display any track information on the stereo's LCD.

Hope that helps you out. Feel free to toss up some more questions.
I just got a mailing from Mazda, which refers to an Apple iPod Integration Module. Are you saying that even this option does notpull track infointo the stereo's LCD?

Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA
I just got a mailing from Mazda, which refers to an Apple iPod Integration Module. Are you saying that even this option does notpull track infointo the stereo's LCD?

That is correct. None of the available methods will display any ID3 tag information on the LCD. That includes the OEM one. Also bear in mind that though authorized by apple the Mazda ipod adapter was made by Mazda and had nothing to do with apple.

I'm waiting for someone to hack the HU and develop a product to display such information. I'm not sure why no one's done it like GMC does.... the ipod adapter talks to the HU as if it's a satellite radio and so it displays information that way.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Default Aftermarket Dash Causing Problems with my AUX Pls Help ASAP!

Hello, I recently created an account on this forum specifically for my question at hand. I see "icspots" is a great person to come to questions with so I must ask......

I have a 2007 mazda 3 sedan with an aftermarket dash/radio - whatever theyre called lol. However, the actual name of the part is EONON, and i believe its the D5102 model. Aside from that, I am trying to get my AUX working (I know its in the armrest).

My problem is that when I tried plugging the aux into my ipod, the music wont play when I select it on my ipod, and on my display it will say that there are no files to play. I also have a specific ipod connector cable as well that is located at the bottom underneath my aftermarket display. I figured it is connected, as when i go to plug it in I get the same error. However I cannot find out how I am supposed to be playing the music properly.

Another problem I have with it is the GPS (included on the EONON display) if anyone could help me out. Problem there...is when i set a destination it will say I am 2000+ km's away; as if I am going to Ontario from China. I may need a new map update but I cannot find any from any websites.

I mainly am looking for help with my AUX, however any tips for anything would be awesome! I bought the mazda this last august to take to college as a daily commute, and the aftermarket display had came with the car when I bought it. Here's a link to the EONON website that I am familiar with:

Car DVD, Car DVD Player, In Car DVD, Car GPS At Eonon

Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 AM

The integration module through mazda displays on the LCD screen of the radio display and is controlled by the radio controls but only works with apple devices that have the wide style plugin. This will run about $600 plus install costs plus buying an iPod. Also works with all generations of iPhone.

Quick Reply: 2007 Mazda3 and MP3/IPod