Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2007 Mazda 3 Unresponsive Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Exclamation 2007 Mazda 3 Unresponsive Audio System

Hello Everyone,

My audio system is unresponsive. The radio does not work, the auxiliary channel does not work, and none of the buttons are responsive. This just happened and before the audio system went completely unresponsive it would go unresponsive then it would start working after restarting the car a couple of times.

I already checked the audio system fuse, the Bose sound system fuse, and the room fuse. The fuses were alright. Please note the light on the display still comes on and shows the time and temperature.

Please let me know what could be the issue and relay the recommended steps to solve the problem. I have attached a picture of the audio console to give you a better idea. Until then I'll be driving in silence.

Thanks,
Eric

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Mazda 3 Unresponsive Audio System-img_1979.jpg  
Old 06-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

The display in the 2007 is wired separately from the stereo, so it working isn't necessarily a sign that the radio is still getting power, etc. Have you done any work or modifications to the car recently? Unplugged any harness conntectors anywhere? I suppose it's possible that the harness on the back of the stereo is a little bit loose and that's what made it crap out. Unless you've had the stereo out though that's unlikely. Still it only takes a few minutes to remove the stereo, so it's worth checking.

Open the glove compartment

Grab the painted dash strip towards the left side of the glove box and pull back to release the clips. Don't pull the far right side back as it has a hook on the end. Once the clips between the far right and the LCD are released gently flex the strip and disengage the hook. Remove the last clip on the far left and set aside the strip

Remove the two screws located near the top of the stereo. You don't need to remove the two attaching the upper center dash panel.

Grab the top of the stereo and pull firmly to pop the stereo loose. Note, DON'T pull on the face of the stereo as that black panel can come loose. Be careful as you pull it out and while disconnecting the plugs on the back as the sides of the stereo can scratch the sides of the opening. If you want you can place a towel on the center upper dash panel and then just rotate the whole stereo forward to rest it on the dash upside down.

Unplug the antenna, ACI plug, and main harness plug. I'd take this opportunity to test power with a multimeter and make sure it still has good 12v switched, constant, and ground at the harness.

If there's power at the plug then reconnect the plugs and see if it works. If not then your stereo may need replacement. From the dealer it runs around $450, but you can likely find a used one someone took out when they installed a new stereo for way less (sometimes free just to clear up closet space, other times I've seen them for about $50)

You'd want to look for a '06-'08 stereo. '04-'05 stereos may work.... the LCD was wired directly off of the stereo those years, but if you got it out of the way your existing LCD should still work with the old stereo (since it's wired differently). I'm not positive the ACI would continue to work with the older stereo.... probably, but I can't guarantee it. In '08.5 Mazda changed the harness plug (I think from a 30 pin to 34 pin). I don't know that a '08.5-'09 stereo wouldn't work, but it's just easier to look for the '06-'08 stereo.

Of note, if you use a '06-'07 stereo you can unlock the DIS (fuel computer, miles to empty, etc) on non-GT models. In '08 models you can do it only on the 6CD player.