Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2005 mazda 3 turbo engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Dont believe what these other users are saying, My advice is check your local auctions and you may be able to find a crashed one that will give you all the parts you need, for a good price, you will be able to sell all the parts you dont need after its complete, and make some money back,
What you will need is the whole front drive train complete, engine,gearbox, exhaust, suspension, you will also need the wiring, computer, and dash assembly, its quite a straight forward job to change it all over, and will take about 12hours to do if your experienced, in using tools, its straight forward, if you paid someone to do it, id recommend not doing it all, as most mechanics are out to make a good money, also dont buy from a car wreckers unless you can buy a shell with all the bits you need complete, as you will lose a few bolts, I plan to do this conversion on my mazda 3 myself, as soon as i find a crashed one local or import one from japan,

Old 12-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hua
Dont believe what these other users are saying, My advice is check your local auctions and you may be able to find a crashed one that will give you all the parts you need, for a good price, you will be able to sell all the parts you dont need after its complete, and make some money back,
What you will need is the whole front drive train complete, engine,gearbox, exhaust, suspension, you will also need the wiring, computer, and dash assembly, its quite a straight forward job to change it all over, and will take about 12hours to do if your experienced, in using tools, its straight forward, if you paid someone to do it, id recommend not doing it all, as most mechanics are out to make a good money, also dont buy from a car wreckers unless you can buy a shell with all the bits you need complete, as you will lose a few bolts, I plan to do this conversion on my mazda 3 myself, as soon as i find a crashed one local or import one from japan,
A straight forward job requiring only 12 hours? Are you nuts? Maybe if you'd done it once or twice before and had a shop with a lift and a five to ten thousand dollar set of tools; but do in 12 hours out in the driveway? No chance.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 PM

yeah straightforward on paper, behind a compuer. easier said than done pal

Old 12-11-2011, 03:38 AM

well it sounds like you guys are amatuers then and id recommend to you not doing the conversion at all,
You do not need a hoist, mechanics are lazy and afraid to lie on the ground and get dirty, or thousands of dollars in tools, just a basic decent socket set will do, some blocks and a jack, its a easy conversion, All car engines go down, the engine is only held in by 4 bolts, once you remove the lower crossmenbers which are held by 10bolts, you unbolt the front hubs off the struts, all the is left is the radiator, powersteer, aircon, the accelerator and trans cable, and exhaust, and engine wiring, it should only take an hour to get the engine, and gearbox out, i have done it many times, once its all on the ground, the car weighs nothing at all, and you can lift the front of the car up by hand, drag out the engine and trans out, id advise using a couple of skateboards,
the last job i did in my garage, i had two Z32 300zx, one was manual twin turbo v6, the other a non turbo auto, i had to swap everything and i mean everything from one to the other, but the other i didnt have to put back together as it was the parts car, it took me 36 hours to do the job, using a $100 socket set, 4 jacks, 8 blocks of wood and 2 skateboards, no hoists or engine chains, dont tell me its easier said behind a computer, because i know what im talking about otherwise i wouldnt have posted, my advice is to help others, and to discredit you people who dont know anything about cars,

Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 AM

well it sounds like you guys are amatuers then and id recommend to you not doing the conversion at all,
You do not need a hoist, mechanics are lazy and afraid to lie on the ground and get dirty, or thousands of dollars in tools, just a basic decent socket set will do, some blocks and a jack, its a easy conversion, All car engines go down, the engine is only held in by 4 bolts, once you remove the lower crossmenbers which are held by 10bolts, you unbolt the front hubs off the struts, all the is left is the radiator, powersteer, aircon, the accelerator and trans cable, and exhaust, and engine wiring, it should only take an hour to get the engine, and gearbox out, i have done it many times, once its all on the ground, the car weighs nothing at all, and you can lift the front of the car up by hand, drag out the engine and trans out, id advise using a couple of skateboards,
the last job i did in my garage, i had two Z32 300zx, one was manual twin turbo v6, the other a non turbo auto, i had to swap everything and i mean everything from one to the other, but the other i didnt have to put back together as it was the parts car, it took me 36 hours to do the job, using a $100 socket set, 4 jacks, 8 blocks of wood and 2 skateboards, no hoists or engine chains, dont tell me its easier said behind a computer, because i know what im talking about otherwise i wouldnt have posted, my advice is to help others, and to discredit you people who dont know anything about cars,
Sorry dude, I've done more than enough engine swaps and conversions to know that you have no clue what you're talking about if you think you can transplant a complete MazdaSpeed3 drivetrain and all perpheral components into a regular Mazda3 in just 12 hours with just a simple set of tools and no hoist or lift.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Sorry dude, I've done more than enough engine swaps and conversions to know that you have no clue what you're talking about if you think you can transplant a complete MazdaSpeed3 drivetrain and all perpheral components into a regular Mazda3 in just 12 hours with just a simple set of tools and no hoist or lift.

Agreed.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Well if I knew that's all it takes then I could've had a speed 5 in less than a day!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by lnwlf
Well if I knew that's all it takes then I could've had a speed 5 in less than a day!!!
Talk about cheating!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Talk about cheating!
well let's see... I have the sockets, air tools, jack and blocks of wood... I think I'll go and tear into my wife's car...

Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by lnwlf
well let's see... I have the sockets, air tools, jack and blocks of wood... I think I'll go and tear into my wife's car...
The only problem I see with that plan (besides the obvious) is that your wife may complain about needing to say goodbye to the automatic transmission in the Mazda5 in favor of a third pedal being added under your dash and a 6-Speed manual shift lever sprouting up where the automatic shifter used to be.

If you were to perform such surgery on your Mazda5, and if said surgery was successful, you would truly have the hippest and most fun to drive Mazda5 in the world.

Quick Reply: 2005 mazda 3 turbo engine swap