Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2.5L MZR L5-VE engine cover insulation

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 09:42 AM
Default 2.5L MZR L5-VE engine cover insulation

Cross-posting this in other forums for vehicles with the same engine.

The insulation mat on the underside of the engine cover for our 2012 Mazda5 is coming apart, leaving particles all over the engine including around the oil filler and dipstick. Makes me nervous whenever I check/change the oil. I want to replace the insulation mat, but apparently new engine covers (PN LF96-10-2F0C) don't come with it and I can't find it on any parts diagrams. I see used covers on eBay that include the insulation, but they seem to be coming apart as well.

Anyone know where to find this part brand new, or have any thoughts on a good substitute?

Old 01-04-2024, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by IamFODI
Cross-posting this in other forums for vehicles with the same engine.

The insulation mat on the underside of the engine cover for our 2012 Mazda5 is coming apart, leaving particles all over the engine including around the oil filler and dipstick. Makes me nervous whenever I check/change the oil. I want to replace the insulation mat, but apparently new engine covers (PN LF96-10-2F0C) don't come with it and I can't find it on any parts diagrams. I see used covers on eBay that include the insulation, but they seem to be coming apart as well.

Anyone know where to find this part brand new, or have any thoughts on a good substitute?
This is common, on many platforms not just Mazda. The engine covers are really more about reducing engine noise and not for other uses.
You can easily remove the insulation clean up the plastic and install a better material that will not deteriorate for decades.

See my thread post # 23
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 3 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

If you have questions, please ask here not on my thread as I do not answer technical question there.

Old 01-04-2024, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This is common, on many platforms not just Mazda. The engine covers are really more about reducing engine noise and not for other uses.
You can easily remove the insulation clean up the plastic and install a better material that will not deteriorate for decades.

See my thread post # 23
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 3 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

If you have questions, please ask here not on my thread as I do not answer technical question there.
Thanks for chiming in. What material did you use?

Old 01-04-2024, 02:42 PM

Thanks for chiming in. What material did you use?
Almost many products will work in this category. THis should work great, and just enough for a engine cover with a little extra.
Amazon.com: Mofun 394mil 3.2 sqft Car Engine Heat Sound Deadener Dampening Insulation Mat, Firewall Automotive Heat Deadener, Noise Sound Deadener, Waterproof Sound Proof Sticker 12" x 39" : Automotive Amazon.com: Mofun 394mil 3.2 sqft Car Engine Heat Sound Deadener Dampening Insulation Mat, Firewall Automotive Heat Deadener, Noise Sound Deadener, Waterproof Sound Proof Sticker 12" x 39" : Automotive

What I did use which is almost the same thing maybe a little better quality is
Thermo-Tec 14620 Thermo-Tec Acoustical and Heat Control Mats | Summit Racing

Now I use FAT MAT for all my projects.
Fatmat Sound Control | Sound Dampening

Last edited by Callisto; 01-04-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:44 PM

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2024, 02:52 PM

Thanks!
The easy way to do this is use a paper bag to make your template from the cover itself. Then cut the paper bag and double check the shape. If it is good, then trace it on the insulation sheet and cut with normal scissors.
It goes on fairly smooth but if it get a little wrinkled, no one ever see its. LOL Make sure to clean wipe the plastic cover with some acetone after you remover the old insulation.
It would be great if you posted pictures your finished cover for other interested in a DIY project!

Old 01-05-2024, 12:34 PM

Here is generally how easy it is to do?

Now I have 3 more panels to cut and attach.
It took about 20 minutes to do this first section and take the pictures.

When you start pulling back the factory insulation it is a powdery mess.

Spraying water makes the job go faster and no dust.

This not only looks better it deadens sound and helps heat control much better than factory and will likely last the life of the car.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:40 PM