Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

05 Mazda 3 Power Steering Pump Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Default 05 Mazda 3 Power Steering Pump Help Needed

So i recently purchased a salvaged 05 Mazda 3 S with only 40,000 miles. Unfortunately the front right side was crashed, as im pretty sure MANY of you know the electric power steering pump is on that side. This was damaged and i had to get it replaced. I purchased the pump and reservoir on ebay. unfortunately it is not working and i have a very strong feeling that it may not be the actual pump but in fact something else. can anyone PLEASE let me know if this pump needs to be installed a certain way? Unfortunately it is the only thing holding me back form enjoying this beauty! If there is anyone that may have ANY info on this i would greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Im not sure what you are asking, install is pretty straight forward, the only thing that would stop it from working is if either car had a failure in the ecu to make it stop working, or the connectors are damaged

Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 AM

Thats the only downfall of electronic chit. You NEVER know what you're getting, even if it is NEW. Otherwise its a great design idea. You're not robbing engine HP to power the steering.

I would say try another pump if you know your ECU is good.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:49 AM

Ok, I really do thank you for the information. How would i figure out if the ECU is bad? I placed the OBII test machine and there were no results. Thanks again, as you can tell im a total noob.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:48 PM

flush the lines,is steering light on? the lines may also need to be replaced,since the
accident is anything else bent? like steering rack

Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 AM

First is steering light on , let repair basics first,very rarely ecu is the
the problem, does pump have pressure

Old 05-07-2010, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by scowan
flush the lines,is steering light on? the lines may also need to be replaced,since the
accident is anything else bent? like steering rack
Flushed the lines, steering light is on. Nothing else is bent. I have read elsewhere that the ECU might need to be reset.. anyone out there ever heard of that?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by scowan
First is steering light on , let repair basics first,very rarely ecu is the
the problem, does pump have pressure
Steering light is on, the pump is not being read at all. The funny thing is that the pump was broken and the power steering light didn't come on, as soon as i replaced the pump with a new one, the check engine light turned on.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 AM

It is very frustrating, as i've called some dealers some said flush the lines which i did, others said something had to be reset??? Any ideas?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 AM

I also forgot to mention that the power steering that i placed on there now was used, would this have anything to do with it?

Quick Reply: 05 Mazda 3 Power Steering Pump Help Needed