Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

04 reg mazda 3 head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Default 04 reg mazda 3 head unit

Hi all, im just recently bought a mazda 3 and authogh it comes with a 6cd changer i would like to put my kenwood mp3 cd player in it. I was wondering how you reomve the factory cd player?
Another question how can i open the cover /panel just above the cig tray?Its the panel with the cig lighter.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Default RE: 04 reg mazda 3 head unit

most filler panels, just pop out, use a flathead screwdriver to remove it, but be cautious not to scratch the surrounding areas, and generally removing the cd player is most like any other, the trim ring must be removed(usually just pops out) and if it doesnt, remove the look closely for removeable panels and take those out to locate any retainer screws, remove those and you should have either 2 or 4 screws holding the head unit in place. It would definately be worth while to go to circuit city and purchase smart cables for the install so that you are not just splicing away, it can cause damage if you are not careful and dont know exactly what you are doing. (smart cables are just 2 cables, one that plugs into the factory harness and then the other cable plugs into the kenwood unit and then plugs into the end of the other cable.) about 30 bucks for both. very clean, neat and if you sell the car and want to keep the unit, you have all the factory wiring intact and can replace the factory unit. I hope this helps, let me know..................

Old 07-09-2005, 03:23 PM

thanks for the reply. I still cant get access to it. i went round all the edges of the cd player and it still wont budge. I even tried from goin from beneth the cd player. I managed to remove the ash tray and cig lighter. Then i managed to remove the whole centre console where the hand brake and gears are. tried to go up from htere but the unit wheich controls the fans are somehow clipped on. anymore ideas?

Old 07-09-2005, 11:06 PM

Crutchfield.com Accesories Page

You need to go to CRUTCHFIELD.COM and they'll let you know exactly what you need and tell you how to remove it. They are a very good resource. I've been shopping with them for over ten years now. My first boomin' BASS system came from them. Those days are long over for me now, but I continue to shop with them for everything electronics.