Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Transmission Gasket?

Old 12-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Default Transmission Gasket?

I own a 2008 Mazda Demio, which is similar to a Mazda 2. There is fluid leaking from the transmission and the mechanic says that it needs a new transmission gasket. However, the parts shop at the dealership says that this car does not use a transmission gasket and some form of silicone should be used instead. There is a gasket in there now..., hence I am puzzled.

I live in Jamaica and the car was imported from Japan.

Does anybody know??

Old 12-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by hzech View Post
I own a 2008 Mazda Demio, which is similar to a Mazda 2. There is fluid leaking from the transmission and the mechanic says that it needs a new transmission gasket. However, the parts shop at the dealership says that this car does not use a transmission gasket and some form of silicone should be used instead. There is a gasket in there now..., hence I am puzzled.

I live in Jamaica and the car was imported from Japan.

Does anybody know??
Assumption: Your car has an automatic transmission.

If the above "assumption" is correct, then it is true that any number of automakers these days use RTV instead of an actual gasket. While I'm not a fan of RTV, it does seem to work reasonably well.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:49 PM

yes, sorry i forgot to mention that it has an automatic transmission. it looks like my mechanic is not a big fan of RTV either then but i don't know if it makes sense to wait until he somehow locates a gasket (which they not even seem to make then) or let the thing drip...