Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Squeaking Mazda 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:35 AM

I really appriciate your help. I am writing from Malta. The local agent mechanics, I have given up and do not go to them anymore as they had no clue about this and other issues. I had gone 6 times for this problem only and all complaints were ignored.

But I agree with you suggestion. I will let get really loud then take it.
I really appriciate your help.
Originally Posted by tanprotege
What puzzles me is that it happens only on shifting from 1 to 2 at low speed.
1. there are not a lot of other noises to cover this squeak.
2. it is not related to bumps in the road or a rocking motion when steering.

This makes me think that it is related to a twisting momentum. The engine tilts a little. when you shift. It also makes the exhaust pipes twist a little bit.

I wish I could hear it myself. But I think a mechanic worth his salt should be able to identify it. How about shaming them into putting forth a more pointed effort? They could try to put a little force on the engine or the muffler pipes trying to create the noise.
I suggest to let it go really bad as far as noise is concerned. It is easier to diagnose when it's really bad.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:05 AM

I have the same exact problem with my Mazda2. Its not related to bumps or road condition but to the speed and that particular point of shifting.

It seems to be more prominent when you sort of shift too early, putting the engine in that almost (but not quite) stall effect.

The closest i ever got to solving it was when one mechanic identified the problem as something to do with the exhaust pipe as tanprotege correctly suggests. However the repair only lasted a month and the sound was back again. So either the mechanic did not repair it properly or something else is causing the exhaust pipe to get dislodged rendering repair to the exhaust pipe only useless.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:34 PM

THe problem is still there. It occurs in the same circumstances you mentioned. When I went to the local agents here in Malta they did the same thing with the exaust and the same thing happned, after a a month or two the most it returns.

I now found a mechanic that it seems might have identified the problem but told me it is from inside the gear box - i forgot exactly the part he mentioned - and would need the whole thing to be removed for something which hen is minor as regards to functiong of car as does not really effect performance.

But irritating as much as it is, it is not worth the expense. I also met other people who had the same problem as well and with the same frustration

Originally Posted by kijla
I have the same exact problem with my Mazda2. Its not related to bumps or road condition but to the speed and that particular point of shifting.

It seems to be more prominent when you sort of shift too early, putting the engine in that almost (but not quite) stall effect.

The closest i ever got to solving it was when one mechanic identified the problem as something to do with the exhaust pipe as tanprotege correctly suggests. However the repair only lasted a month and the sound was back again. So either the mechanic did not repair it properly or something else is causing the exhaust pipe to get dislodged rendering repair to the exhaust pipe only useless.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:36 AM

Hi the problem as I said is still there and unfortunatley had to get used to it. One thing that made a big difference was the change of tyres.

My Mazda 2 bought brand new came with Toyo Tyres. I changed them to Firestone and I can say that the noise so far has been reduced by around 70%.