Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda2 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda2-53/)
-   -   Squeaking Mazda 2 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda2-53/squeaking-mazda-2-a-30364/)

Chippychop 10-30-2012 06:20 AM

Squeaking Mazda 2

I have a 3 year old Mazda 2 bought new. Six months after I bought it it started squeaking when on 1st gear moving to 2nd and at low speed. Took it to local agent several times. No clue but was told oiled various parts and stopped..Now for three years, it recurs every 6 months more or less and no mechanic I found has found a solution.
Any suggestions?

tanprotege 10-30-2012 11:34 AM

Does that mean it squeaks when you move the shift lever or when you push and release the clutch pedal?

Chippychop 10-31-2012 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege (Post 132639)
Does that mean it squeaks when you move the shift lever or when you push and release the clutch pedal?

It does it when I push and release clutch and start pressing gass pedal and drive on 2nd gear at slwo speed.

tanprotege 11-01-2012 01:19 PM

Maybe the pedal assembly needs a little lube?
Maybe a belt needs tightening?

From where I am I only can guess...

Chippychop 11-01-2012 02:39 PM

Thats what keeps happening they give it lube but after 6 months+/- it starts all over. What concerns me most is does it make sense. I mean it started doing it 6 months after I bought it. Mazda mechanics here, not that they are whizzies, had no clue and just lubes all the bottom.

tanprotege 11-01-2012 04:28 PM

Chippy, are you the handy type? Do you turn wrenches? If so you could do the jobs yourself. You would lube the pedal assembly and see if it makes a change, then the cables, again see if it makes a change. That way you would find out which particular part is causing the trouble.
If you are not the wrenching type, I suggest to bring it to a mom and pop shop and ask them to find the culprit.

Chippychop 11-02-2012 02:49 AM

No not really the handy time. My main worry is whether the car is defective as I had quite a few cars and never had this problem. It squeaks like an old metal spring bed for a couple of minutes then on and off at low speed. Usually when stuck in traffic.
But really a sincere thank you for your advice.

tanprotege 11-02-2012 01:43 PM

Try to reproduce that squeak in the parking lot. Open the door and use it for leverage to rock the car. If you can hear that squeak it is probably the sway bar bushings. They can be taken out and covered with silicone lube and installed again. I have done that with my wife's Ford Contour about 5 years ago. I haven't heard a squeak form this car since.

Chippychop 11-03-2012 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege (Post 132754)
Try to reproduce that squeak in the parking lot. Open the door and use it for leverage to rock the car. If you can hear that squeak it is probably the sway bar bushings. They can be taken out and covered with silicone lube and installed again. I have done that with my wife's Ford Contour about 5 years ago. I haven't heard a squeak form this car since.

Tried it thank you for suggestion. It happens when changing gear - 1st to 2nd and at very low speed -20mph - begings when letting clutch pedal and starting to press gas. and squeaks on and off. Had a suspicion could be bushings

tanprotege 11-04-2012 08:00 PM

What puzzles me is that it happens only on shifting from 1 to 2 at low speed.
1. there are not a lot of other noises to cover this squeak.
2. it is not related to bumps in the road or a rocking motion when steering.

This makes me think that it is related to a twisting momentum. The engine tilts a little. when you shift. It also makes the exhaust pipes twist a little bit.

I wish I could hear it myself. But I think a mechanic worth his salt should be able to identify it. How about shaming them into putting forth a more pointed effort? They could try to put a little force on the engine or the muffler pipes trying to create the noise.
I suggest to let it go really bad as far as noise is concerned. It is easier to diagnose when it's really bad.