Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Possible new ABS pump needed???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

I strongly recommend taking it to a mechanic for inspection, brakes are not something to be messed around with by DIYer's.

If the brakes don't pass MOT inspection criteria, then It shouldn't pass a MOT inspection.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by scottb88
Not sure on this car to be honest, if you can just direct swap the pump then it's something that can be done at home. Some pumps have modules attached that need coding to the ECU. If this is the case then it's going to be costly. Regardless of that, to physically swap it out shouldn't be too bad and then as you said, whole system needs to be bled with fresh fluid.

I wouldn't worry about that for now though. I dont think the ABS pump is a common fault on the Mazda 2 / MK7 Fiesta (essentially same car) and it seems more vacuum related to me. I may be wrong but just see how it goes.
Thanks again bud

Old 06-19-2020, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I strongly recommend taking it to a mechanic for inspection, brakes are not something to be messed around with by DIYer's.

If the brakes don't pass MOT inspection criteria, then It shouldn't pass a MOT inspection.
Yeah I get your point. Was just trying to get as much out the way as possible that I can do before taking it to a mechanic. Trying to save a bit of money. If it was something I wasnt comfortable doing myself, i wouldn't chance it anyway.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Give it a full manual brake fluid flush & manual bleed.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

About 10 yrs ago I came across a crash scene, found out 2 guys had been working on the brakes, they went for a road test, approaching a sharp bend in the road before a bridge, something went wrong & one side brakes failed & it veered into the bridge barrier. Both were killed. I don't want that to happen to anyone.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:28 AM

Give it a full manual brake fluid flush & manual bleed.
Ok that is within my skill set I'll do that at some point too then. A mate of mine said that some cars need a special machine for bleeding and flushing brakes through. This isn't the case on the mazda 2 is it? Can do it the old fashioned way by shouting in/out and getting someone to press the pedal while undoing and tightening up the bleed nipple.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Simple to flush & bleed.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:29 AM

About 10 yrs ago I came across a crash scene, found out 2 guys had been working on the brakes, they went for a road test, approaching a sharp bend in the road before a bridge, something went wrong & one side brakes failed & it veered into the bridge barrier. Both were killed. I don't want that to happen to anyone.
Appreciate it bud. Stuff like pad and disc changes and fluid flushes I'm ok with. Anything else brake related then I'm not too sure

Old 06-19-2020, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Apparently that's what they were doing. Not 100% sure.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:36 AM

So this is thr invoice she got from Mazda. I didn't know they have already diagnosed it as the ABS pump. Thing is, it doesn't say how they diagnosed it. Whether they plugged a machine into it or just went by gut instinct.

Also didnt know that Perry's had changed the master cylinder thinking it was that. Hope she didnt pay Perry's for it seeing the issue is still there.

Quick Reply: Possible new ABS pump needed???