Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Mazda 2 rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 10:56 PM
Default Mazda 2 rear axle

Hi All, does anyone have any experience with the rear axle on the Mazda 2?

My daughter's 2013 Mazda 2 was hit by someone going sufficiently fast that it bent the rear axle. I've found some rear axle beams for her car that look right, is that a bolt-off the old, bolt-on the new kind of repair?

Any suggestions to how I can hold up the butt of that little car while I'm under it exerting sufficient torque to pull the old axle? Other than the axle itself, I didn't see a lot of hard points back there.

Thank you! That little car has been a champ, it held up great in that collision, she's built like a tiny tank, I feel I owe it to her to get her back on her wheels.

Last edited by grim_reaper; 01-03-2021 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:37 AM

Not needed to do anything with the rear beam it's self, I have only changed the shock absorbers. It doesnt look too difficult to me. One thing you could do is look for videos of people doing rear poly bushes on the MK7 fiesta. I beleive it's the same chassis.

This would give you a good idea on whats involved.

Anyway, I found this from a quick google search, looks like its just a case of removing everthing attatched ( hubs, brake lines, springs and shocks etc) and those two bolts that go through the bushes into the chassis.

I think axle stands on the sill jacking points as an absolute minimum, but do what makes you feel safe.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:21 PM

Thank you Scott.

The back of that little car looked simple to me ... brake lines, springs, shocks, bearings.

I had a thought that I would put the jack stands into the u-channel of the axle, then get under there with my breaker bar, loosen it all up, and then move the stands to whatever hard points I can find, then pull off the axle. By the looks of it, it seems to weigh about three hundred pounds or so, I reckon I can lift it into place with my floor jack.