Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Engine bhp

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 10:12 AM
Default Engine bhp

Hi guys, new to the Mazda 2 section since I have just bought one. What I didn’t realise nor understand is that Mazda offer three different options for the same engine 74, 90 , 115 bhp. What gets me is that the 74 has a considerably lower economy as well as a lower performance than the 90 and seems ‘ surplus to requirements ‘. Since the engine is the same for all three outputs can the 74 be remapped to the same level as the 90. All other aspects of the car seem to be the same, 5 speed gear box unless different gear ratios, and same brake gear.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:49 AM

Welcome to the forum
I want preferance I did not research all the exact models and specification for your year MAZDA. My response is general and applies for most newer MAZDA as well a few hundred other application none MAZDA.. lol
Mazda for your year does not use federal certification for published power ratings. This means they can post basically anything they want.

If there is a ECU access program that allows to do performance Calibration's then there is always room to improve the TQ and HP results.
Flashing or performing a PASS-THROUGH regarding the ECU form different year Mazda's does not work

Honestly if it true power DATA your want you must get a base line DYNO test and then go from there. You can not assume anything guarding what your MAZDA actually has for power without it. There are some gauge like D-Pic from Autometer that has a very accurate accelerometer that can measure real world power and is very close comparing to a mechanical DYNO test.

Old 01-03-2023, 01:23 PM
Default Engine power

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum
I want preferance I did not research all the exact models and specification for your year MAZDA. My response is general and applies for most newer MAZDA as well a few hundred other application none MAZDA.. lol
Mazda for your year does not use federal certification for published power ratings. This means they can post basically anything they want.

If there is a ECU access program that allows to do performance Calibration's then there is always room to improve the TQ and HP results.
Flashing or performing a PASS-THROUGH regarding the ECU form different year Mazda's does not work

Honestly if it true power DATA your want you must get a base line DYNO test and then go from there. You can not assume anything guarding what your MAZDA actually has for power without it. There are some gauge like D-Pic from Autometer that has a very accurate accelerometer that can measure real world power and is very close comparing to a mechanical DYNO test.
Thanks for the reply Callisto. I will need to take some time to divulge that information