Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Adding Electric Turbocharger to Mazda Demio GT Sposrt Nav+ 2019

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Lightbulb Adding Electric Turbocharger to Mazda Demio GT Sposrt Nav+ 2019

Hi everyone,
In about 2 years I plan to spend about 8k on mods and I would like to start adding some power to my car.
Like in the topic, I am thinking of adding an Electric Turbocharger single or in twin config which should add 20$ - 35% power.
Forget about all other things I will need to add for now... Is it even possible to use that Turbo with 1.5 L SkyActiv-G F-P5 I4 Engine and 5-speed SkyActiv-MTmanual transmission?
I am asking because I haven't seen anyone to try this... in fact, I haven't seen any Mazda 2 with Turbo...

If not then why not? Will engine not be able to handle the strain?

Thank you,
Hunter

Old 05-05-2020, 10:33 AM

A few points:
  • Most "electric" turbochargers are absolute crap meant to fleece money from the unsuspecting.
  • A high end electric turbocharger driven from a big freakin' capacitor to give a few seconds of boost are fairly expensive, and if you're climbing a long grade, you'll be out of boost in relatively short order.
  • SkyActiv-G engines make very poor candidates for forced induction simply because their compression ratios are too high to accommodate the boost.
In the end, if you want a faster car, you'll be best off selling your car (unmodified cars typically fetch the highest prices), and putting the proceeds from the sale to something faster.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the answer.
I agree many are just crap but I got one that's good, tested, and makes 5 PSI (https://torqamp.com/) £2.5k which is cheaper than a normal one, and it is much easier to install cuz you don't need to change the exhaust.
It does offer a short burst, I guess for about 1 min depending on how big battery is, but you control it with a press of a button so you only use it when you need it, 6 bursts is good enough to have some fun I guess.
That's what I thought, but then again, it should give that 20% more torque. I'll have to spend some time and calculate it myself I guess.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by HUNTER-d-_-b
That's what I thought, but then again, it should give that 20% more torque. I'll have to spend some time and calculate it myself I guess.
Without running the numbers, my gut tells me even a 20% bump in torque is dubious. Why? As I mentioned before, you have a SkyActiv-G engine, which I believe in the U.K. market sports a 14:1 compression ratio. Given most of the U.K. is very near sea level, adding a 20% denser intake charge, unless it was hyper-cooled through ice water or something, will probably lead to significant, and potentially terminal, detonation.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
A few points:
  • Most "electric" turbochargers are absolute crap meant to fleece money from the unsuspecting.
  • A high end electric turbocharger driven from a big freakin' capacitor to give a few seconds of boost are fairly expensive, and if you're climbing a long grade, you'll be out of boost in relatively short order.
  • SkyActiv-G engines make very poor candidates for forced induction simply because their compression ratios are too high to accommodate the boost.
In the end, if you want a faster car, you'll be best off selling your car (unmodified cars typically fetch the highest prices), and putting the proceeds from the sale to something faster.
You were right, I would get very low gain form electric one cuz of high ratio... a real turbo would blow up the engine haha... Unless there is a magic way I could cool it down by 200`C... lol but even though the pressure itself would destroy it quickly.
(Legend says someone pointed AC at the engine to cool it down )