Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Tribute Door Lock Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Default Tribute Door Lock Problem...

We're having a weird problem with the door locks on an '03 Mazda Tribute with remote entry. The automatic door lock button on the driver's door won't function. You can lock to doors with the key fob (as long as you haven't started the car). Also, the door 'ajar' warning light stays lit on the dashboard regardless of whether you open/close doors, or even turn the car off. The local dealer replaced the door lock button once under warranty, and it quit working after a week or so, (now they say it's not under warranty anymore.) Any ideas where to begin looking into this problem?

Thanks in advance

KT

Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 PM

I am having the same problem with my 2005 Mazda Tribute. My car lock alarm (KARR) goes off while just sitting in the drive way for no apparent reason.
Also when driving now, the door ajar light on the dash and the alarm goes off constantly - all doors and back hatch are closed.
I replaced the KARR alarm with a new one and nothing. Alarms go off constantly.
To aleviate this I have to keep the car unlocked at store parking lots.
Putting the alarm in Valet mode does not help.
The problem is in the auto door lock assemblies. I have a 10 year extra warranty on the car and am going back to the dealer to see if this is a) a recall type issue (as there seems to be many that have this problem) and/or b) whether it is part of the extra warranty - and if not, then why not.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM

There is a recall for Recall ID # 52500 - LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:LOCK

I cannot remember if I took this back to the dealer to fix this or not, but it seems to be the problem that I am having. If they did fix it, it didn't fix it completely... will update when I ask the dealer about it. They should have a record of the fix if it was done.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:02 PM
Rik

Originally Posted by xtranet
We're having a weird problem with the door locks on an '03 Mazda Tribute with remote entry. The automatic door lock button on the driver's door won't function. You can lock to doors with the key fob (as long as you haven't started the car). Also, the door 'ajar' warning light stays lit on the dashboard regardless of whether you open/close doors, or even turn the car off. The local dealer replaced the door lock button once under warranty, and it quit working after a week or so, (now they say it's not under warranty anymore.) Any ideas where to begin looking into this problem?

Thanks in advance

KT
This is an old thread but after recently changing a heater core in my 2005 Tribute the car developed this exact problem: lock/unlock switch on driver's door stopped working, door open alarm always on (all door switches checked), and on mine the rear wiper stopped working. I have been over and over the car and I'm sure I got everything reconnected. Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 02-01-2022, 12:38 PM

I saw your message and thought I would reply. I have not been able to get the unlock on mine to work. I also have discovered my rear wiper isn't working. I thought I was crazy but when I read your message, I felt relief. I just acquired this car (2006 Mazda Tribute 2.3L) and have had to do a lot of work on it and it's these little things that have cause a headache.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:43 PM
Rik

Originally Posted by steph0024
I saw your message and thought I would reply. I have not been able to get the unlock on mine to work. I also have discovered my rear wiper isn't working. I thought I was crazy but when I read your message, I felt relief. I just acquired this car (2006 Mazda Tribute 2.3L) and have had to do a lot of work on it and it's these little things that have cause a headache.

I think I have traced the problem to the SJB "smart junction box".This is what looks like the fuse box on the right side of the console. Instead of wires going from switches to locks and motors it goes through a logic board that is part of the SBJ to decide if it wants to turn it on or not. I have a used one from EBay on the way. I'll let you know if it fixes it.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:45 PM
Rik

The new SJB didn't change anything. I spent several hours tracing wires. The door lock switch and the door ajar switches all go to the the SJB and all the inputs toggled when I operated the switch and open and closed doors so maybe it just needs programming?. This is an old car I'm just using for basic transportation and isn't worth all this time. I took the instrument cluster apart and removed the alarm sound module.