Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Tribby - 2003 V6 LX stalled + potential ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Default Tribby - 2003 V6 LX stalled + potential ignition problems

My 2003 V6 Tribute (LX) decided to stall on me today on the hwy after a hard brake. When I tried to start it up, it chocked (noise like fan hitting something came up). On a 3rd try, it kicked back in. Now engine light made its way on the dashboard.

To add to it, I have to pump the gas while starting the car, else it won't start.

After today's stalling event, the engine dies if in Parked and switching to Drive mode ..or vice versa. Once it starts...it's good, still engine light on.

Any ideas? I'll take it to the shop to look for:

Fuel Injection problems
Spark Plugs
Coils (changed 2 in the summer)
Transmission

Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM

So you don't trust your mechanics? Tsssk! i mean they are the experts, aren't they?

Take it to the parts store to read the codes for free. Let us know the codes.

At this point i can imagine a "Seafoam" treatment might be advisable.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM

I'm taking it to my mechanics. I trust them, but I wanted to know it's something I can fix myself.

Also, my mechanics are about 1.5-2hrs away from my mechanics (moved 2 municipalities to the west of it). So, unless it's something more advanced, I'll try to do it myself.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 PM

footballer:

May I suggest to get the Haynes manual for this vehicle. I get one for every vehicle in our family. If you want to do some maintenance yourself it is a necessity.

Reading through your 1st post again it seems that something mechanical has happened causing the noise. But I cannot guess what. Could you let us know what your mechanics found?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM

I have the Hayes manual. Always did for every car.

Here are the results after a bit more than $1k.

The IAC sensor was dirty and has been replaced, the Throttle Body also.

Flex Pipe was broken and had its hanger missing (hissing sound started while accelerating)

All that for $656.93 CND

After repairing the flex pipe, I couldn't accelarate at all. Engine will rev up but speed would be very slow. You wouldn't notice in the city, but highway was deadly slow.

Catalyst Converter was dead! I bought the car like that without knowing because the hole in the flex pipe was hiding this problem by allowing some of the exhaust out through there. This cost me $341.83 CND.

Car runs fine now. Future problem will be either Stabalizer or one of the struts. (Clonking noise while driving over bumps). I'll fix that when it dies, hopefully not anytime soon.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Wow.
Service centers are like that: if it's dirty it gets replaced. That ensures it's done right but at high expense. I like to clean and reuse...and replace only if that doesn't fix it.

It seems the provious owner was not very much into maintenance.

You should have a relaible vehicle now.
You can check the swaybar links by prying up on the sway bar and observing the links. There should be no play. If they have play replace them at the next oil change.

Last edited by tanprotege; 01-12-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:27 PM

I have to do a flush, at least coolant.

The shop gave me the option to clean it or replace it. But they recommended I replace it due to the age of the vehicle.

The shop is big and does bikes too, and engine restoration/change. I trust them, but they are pricey. I'm currently looking for something similar in the Hamilton area. These guys are in the North York area..where I used to live =( Wish I could move them with me...

Old 01-12-2013, 02:46 PM

Clunk over bumps is possibly the sway bar links. They are easy to replace and relatively inexpensive. I replaced the two on my wife's 2003 Tribute this October for less than $40 US.

Good Luck.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM

In Canada, everything more expensive, especially car maintenance. Even buying a new car, for a BMW, we'll pay starting 40k for basic model. I heard in US it's like 25K =(

Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM

New problem:

Won't reverse! Engine revs up, but I might as well put it in neutral and push it! ...

Seriously considering another car... what could it be this time?

*Planning on taking it to a local shop for diagnosis*

Quick Reply: Tribby - 2003 V6 LX stalled + potential ignition problems