Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Transmission simply stopped working while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 02:47 AM
Question Transmission simply stopped working while driving

2002 Tribute; ~185,000 miles. Over the last 5 years I only put about 5000-7000 miles on it per year.

While on a short trip I entered a highway. I noticed no issues with acceleration or gearing while getting to highway speed. No prior issues with transmission or engine performance at all. About a mile onto the highway, I pressed the accelerator, and the engine rev'd but no power engaged to the powertrain. There were no clunking or typical transmission failure noises. No gear slippings... hesitations, anything... Just no power to the axles. Engine remained normal; no stall.

I coasted off the highway and into a parking lot. Once stopped, I attempted to move the gears through their cycles, but gears would engage out of park (no R, D, 2, 1). The shifter felt normal, as in it wasn't sloppy like the shifter cable was broken (although I don't know for sure). I checked the fluid. I noted it was high (over correct volume), but no frothing. Color was normal pink. I had trans fluid/filter service 10 mos ago (~5000 miles ago).

Looking for ideas here. I've checked here and other forums, but I can't find exact matches. I assumed the transmission was just finally dead, but I've only lost one transmission before, and when it went, you KNEW it! I thought maybe a computer problem, so I went back to the car and hooked up OBDII and no codes were thrown. I disconnected the battery cable, waited a bit, and reconnected/tested. No change.

Can the high fluid be an issue? Torque converter? I haven't noticed ANY noises, like pump whining. I haven't checked cable ends yet, but as I said the shifter on the steering column seems to operate like normal.

What about it failing into neutral (disengaged)? Does that point to anything in particular? I figured if a cable broke or came off a coupling, it would simply remain in the current gear I was driving in (unless there's a failsafe that moves it automatically to neutral???).

Ideas?

EDIT: and if it helps, I replaced the spark plugs about 5 months ago. So I went through all those awful steps to pull the intake manifold and all those other hoses off. If there is possibly something I should check to see if it came loose, all suggestions are welcome. I didn't really take a good look, since I assumed whatever was wrong would likely be under the car. Didn't check for any computer/electronics connections.

EDIT 2: it's a 2002. Changed that above.

Last edited by sushinut; 07-22-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:38 AM

The only way to know for sure is to have a trans shop check line pressure. It doesn't have a shift cable, but an electric range selector which tells the computer what gear you've selected. The computer then activates the appropriate solenoids in the trans. If the range selector or solenoids fail, it will usually set a code and blink the OD light on shifter.

My son's went in a similar fashion, although it had reverse for a while and even that went trying to move it.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by JohnCT
The only way to know for sure is to have a trans shop check line pressure. It doesn't have a shift cable, but an electric range selector which tells the computer what gear you've selected. The computer then activates the appropriate solenoids in the trans. If the range selector or solenoids fail, it will usually set a code and blink the OD light on shifter.

My son's went in a similar fashion, although it had reverse for a while and even that went trying to move it.
Thanks, JohnCT. I appreciate the help. I'm ready for a new car anyway, so it looks like this is headed for the great salvage yard in the sky.