Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Trailer Hitch Wiring?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Default Trailer Hitch Wiring?

I recently purchased a used 2005 Tribute. It came with a trailer hitch included but I am not 100% certain if it is an aftermarket part or the original towing package.

I was looking for the wiring hookups to hook up a trailer and the only wiring I can find is on the back left, there is a wire bunch coming down to a plastic connector of some sort which is mounted onto a bracket. I am wondering if that wire/connectoris the place I plug in a connector that will go to the trailer connectors?

If this wire and connector I found is the correct wire does anyone know what kind of connector I need to go from the existing connector to the standard trailer connector (4 hole connector)? I went to the store and looked at a bunch of wire options but I couldn't make sense of any of it.

This is the first SUV i have owned and first time I have had to deal with a trailer hitch or wiring. Any assistance would be great. THanks.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Default RE: Trailer Hitch Wiring?

Did you ever figure this out? I have a 2003 Tribute with a factory tow package. There is a small rubber cover underneath the bumper which uncovers a female connector for a trailer wire. Unfortunately, my friend's trailer's wire is also a female connector. For his Ford escape, he installed an aftermarket tow bar and hitch. The connector on his Escape is a male connector. Is there a male-to-male trailer connector? I could not find one at AutoZone.