Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Default Trailer Hitch

I am adding a hitch to my 03 DX V6 and have a question about the wiring for the trailer.

I do not have the factory hitch but from looking though the shop manual and looking at the truck it appears that the fuses and such are all ready in place. I guessing the harness to the rear is just not installed and it dead ends some where.

Does anyone know where this dead end is? I am hoping I can either buy the factory rear harness or splice in to it and make my own.

Also besides the hitch and wiring what else did you getwith the factory tow package?

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Default RE: Trailer Hitch

Get into the rear hatch area where the spare tire is located at Voda2000. The connector for the trailer tow harness short cord is on the left side towards the rear. In the rear part also on left side of the spare tire well you will see a black plug. This is where the factory harness would go thru to the outside. Factory short cord that would plug right into it with trailer connector on other end retails for $35.42. Use OE part number ec01-67-sh0c for the short cord.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the P/N.I didn't have the number with me when I went to talk to the dealer and they didn't know what I was talking about. I'm going to go back with the number. Thanks again.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM

I have the harness on order but have read that some people with Ford Escapes needed to change the flasher unit to get it to work properly. Does this apply to the Tribute?

Old 07-25-2007, 06:34 PM

Good thing you read about that Voda2000. I completely forgot. [:@]
Yes you will need to get a different flasher module if adding towing thru factory harness to enable signals. The non tow flasher is blue and tow flasher should be yellow. Use OE part number BTAA-66-830 for the correct flasher unit.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to go order it tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 PM

Here is a couple of pics that should help you

Old 08-11-2008, 10:25 PM

I recently purchased a used 2005 Tribute. It came with a trailer hitch included but I am not 100% certain if it is an aftermarket part or the original towing package.

I was looking for the wiring hookups to hook up a trailer and the only wiring I can find is on the back left, there is a wire bunch coming down to a plastic connector of some sort wich is mounted onto a bracket. I am wondering if that wire/connectoris the place I plug in a connector that will go to the trailer connectors?

Does anyone know what kind of connector I need to go from the existing connector to the standard trailer connector (4 hole connector)?

This is the first SUV i have owned and first time I have had to deal with a trailer hitch or wiring. Any assistance would be great. THanks.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 PM

Can't help you with the wiring except to tell you that you will need a converter box to switch the separate turn signals and brake to one wire since your trailer uses the same light circuit for both the brake and turn signal lights.

As for towing, if your trailer weighs more than 1000 lbs, or if you find your transmission "hunting" - going between gears, as if it can't decide - I would suggest doing most of your towing with overdrive off. I tow a small aluminum boat that does not require unlocking OD because it is so light and offers little wind resistance. However, my eight foot wide covered snowmobile trailer drags so much wind that pulling it with overdrive engaged is impossible...it would constantly be upshifting and downshifting, which would heat up the transmission fluid and could cause damage to the unit. Your Tribute uses a slightly beefed up version of the Ford Contour transmission, so it is not meant for heavy duty use.

Good luck.