Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Default Tire Recommendations

The previous owner of my 2003 Tribute put a very lousy set of tires on it. I have never heard of the brand. They are extremely noisy. My local tire dealer recommended Firestone Destination tires, but epinions.com universally slams them. Therefore, what tires should I buy that are quiet, comfortable, and lasting?

Old 07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Default RE: Tire Recommendations

i have a 2005 tribute. it's on goodyear wrangler. they offer if i can say so a good stability.. but that's only for u to find out.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 AM

I've done some research, and one of the most highly recommended tires is the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza P235/70HR16. I'm probably going to get a set today. My local Bridgestone dealer will match pricing at http://www.tirerack.com.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:31 PM

Whatever you do, stay clear of the Continental ContiTracs that came on the 2001-04 models. Loudest tires I have ever heard. Sometimes, depending upon pavement conditions, the tires (Continentals) on my '04 Trib are so loud it gives me a headache. I can't wait to change them...I would now, but with only 31,000 miles, it seems like too much of a waste of money and a waste of tires that are only half-worn.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 PM

I replaced mine sooner than that and what a relief it was.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:38 PM

The tires you have will be fine. They will outlast the truck anyways.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 PM

I've gotta laugh when I see the complaints about tire noise. My fiance got a 2006 Tribute last year and I too would have to say the the tires are possibly some of the loudest I've ever heard. It makes me angry sometimes to listen to them. What's more, they've been balanced two times at the dealership and it is still not really right on the highway. I've lost patience and now just live with it.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:12 AM

I have a 05 tribute and the Continental tires do suck, but I'm looking at the Goodyear assurance triple tred, have read some good things about them:
Hear is some info on them,

Just as its name implies, the TripleTred tire has three distinct types of tread on each tire. To build the tread, different types of rubber are cooked for each of the three tread types. The three rubber types are then extruded through a common die to form one broad band of rubber that will be wrapped around the casing and cured in a tire oven to form a three-part tread.

Three Zones. Click image to enlargeThe centre section of the Assurance TripleTred tire is designed for traction on ice. Volcanic sand is ground into pumice and added to the rubber compound to provide grip on the ice. As the particles wear, they leave microscopic cavities with edges that help grip the slippery road. Tiny glass fibres are also added to the rubber compound to create a pitted surface for additional grip and to keep it flexible in cold weather. Finally, the tread design uses an interlocking pattern with many fine sipes for extra traction.
On either side of the centre tread, a water zone is created by moulding the tire with long curved Aquachutes that propel the water away from the tread face. This area of the tire is more open and enables the tire to maintain traction on rain-soaked roads. A new silica based rubber compound provides maximum traction on wet roads while maximising tread wear.
Finally, the outside shoulders of the tire form the dry zone. Large, stable tread blocks use a high performance rubber compound to keep the tire stable during cornering and sudden manoeuvres around potholes or other obstacles.
Three tread types, three rubber compounds, all in one tire. Add in a Permablack compound to keep the tire looking new during its 130,000 km tread life warranty and you have a tire suitable for a wide variety of driving conditions.
Winter tires - all season tires - summer tires. There are many choices out there. The TripleTred technology combines the best of all three, allowing safer driving wherever you travel.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:40 AM

I'm a big yokohama fan and have read good things about their geolander AT tires. I'll probably be replacing the POS Conti's with them soon.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Never had them, but ive done research and I will be putting on Bridgestone Duelers in a few thousand more miles. They seem to be the best bang for the buck

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations