Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Starting proble.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 12:10 PM
Question Starting proble.

My 2001 Tribute 3.0 V6 has an intermittent starting problem. This only happens when the outside temp is really cold or cold a raining. The car will crank but not start. It cranks strong and there are no strange sounds. The PAT system is working properly. The fuel pump is fairly new and the fuel filter is about a year old.

It usually will eventually start and will continue to start instantly the rest of the day.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this annoying problem?

Last edited by Bobsyouruncle; 02-13-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Has the battery been properly tested?
Has the starter motor draw been properly tested?
Has it been scanned for DTC's?
Has fuel pressure been tested?

Old 02-16-2020, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Has the battery been properly tested?
Has the starter motor draw been properly tested?
Has it been scanned for DTC's?
Has fuel pressure been tested?
As stated, this problem only occurs when it's cold and rainy, first start up. If any of the above was bad, this problem would happen all the time. Once the engine heats up and drys, the problem goes away.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

What eva

Old 04-05-2020, 09:10 AM
Default Fuel filter

Hello.
I have a cx5 diesel from 2014 and a problem with starting the car on a cold engine (longer time), this happens after a large service (oil, filters, fuel filter, filling the fuel), before the service was ok. Thinking there is a problem with the fuel filter I exchanged him alone again and it was fine for three days the car started normally. After three days, the car turns on a cold engine for a long time. I was in diagnostics in Mazda but did not find anything because he started to normally again, after which I noticed that he only has a problem when it's raining and sometimes as the temperature drops. after a few days of observation, it fires worse as it rains, there is no rain it is ok.
Maybe somebody help me with this problem.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:01 PM
ipn

Originally Posted by Bobsyouruncle
As stated, this problem only occurs when it's cold and rainy, first start up. If any of the above was bad, this problem would happen all the time. Once the engine heats up and drys, the problem goes away.
What i'd do is check to see if there is spark on a cold day 1st at least , then pull/clean all those main connectors , one has to figure out what is lacking , spark or fuel and make sure the battery voltage is not dropping too much at crank . .

Old 04-05-2020, 09:03 PM
ipn

Originally Posted by cin82
Hello.
I have a cx5 diesel from 2014 and a problem with starting the car on a cold engine (longer time), this happens after a large service (oil, filters, fuel filter, filling the fuel), before the service was ok. Thinking there is a problem with the fuel filter I exchanged him alone again and it was fine for three days the car started normally. After three days, the car turns on a cold engine for a long time. I was in diagnostics in Mazda but did not find anything because he started to normally again, after which I noticed that he only has a problem when it's raining and sometimes as the temperature drops. after a few days of observation, it fires worse as it rains, there is no rain it is ok.
Maybe somebody help me with this problem.
Does that engine have a pre-start heater system being a Diesel .

In the proper thread area might help .