Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Overheating suspect bad ECT

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ramigojag
So I investigated the fans today, I know the fan motors work because they both come on with a/c.

I tested the three relays in the fusbox they all worked fine.

I then tested the relay that is mounted to the radiator covering.

I didn't get a click from this relay so I assume this is the problem.

I went to two auto stores in my town and neither of them had anything that was right so I've ordered one online
This relay is responsible for changing the slow speed and med speed. if it damages, you still have the slow speed. Have you check the resistor, it is easy to check by just pull it out, and to see if any damages, also check if it is open circuit.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ramigojag
Thanks for those tips I wlll check them out this weekend.
1. The fans dont spin at all except for when the A/C is switched on. I will check the relays and also the resistor.
2. That's just good general advice which I will do

I've watched mine with the OBD reader and the fans don't kick in at all. Got to about 107 degrees.

With the A/C running they maintained about 92 degrees. crept to about 95 when I loaded it up with electrical load.

I don't lose any coolant through the expansion tank if I drive with the A/C on. If I switch it off the fan's dont come on, the engine gets hot, then it boils over. I'm sure its not related to a head gasket problem.
I had similar problem as yours, which was the reason for me to check the cooling system wire by wire. The answer to my problem is I do not have slow speed, but only have high speed. My finding is one of the wire is broken inside the fuse box, which controls the slow speed relay. After I have the wire connected, everything went back normally.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:15 PM

Have you moved the three relays inside the fuse box with other relays to check? They are the same, and can be checked easily by move them around.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff_Yu
Have you moved the three relays inside the fuse box with other relays to check? They are the same, and can be checked easily by move them around.
I haven't but I tested them by applying power and they clicked then measured the resistance across all of them and they were all 0.01 Ohms which is pretty much perfect

Old 09-30-2018, 12:37 AM

Do you know a value for testing the fan resistor or do I just check it isn't open circuit?

Old 10-01-2018, 02:17 AM

Just check if it is open circuit. It is one thermo fuse connected with one resistor. You can pull it out easily, and check / clean it.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:22 AM

Will the fan start running after 107 if you do not have the AC on?

Old 10-01-2018, 06:52 AM

No the fan doesnt come on at all and eventually the coolant expands and starts coming out of the overflow pipe.

The cap and expansion bottle is new because at first I thought it was the cap not holding pressure

Old 10-01-2018, 05:26 PM

Mine is different, the fans came on at 105 with high speed. It seems to me is the communication between the relays to the PCM. May I suggest:
1. Add some earth wires to enhance the groundings to the PCM and some other places of the car, such as left side of the car and engine.
2. Have you got the manual I sent to you, print out the page:12-29 & 12-30 in 3 copies, marked with low speed, med speed, and high speed. Check wire by wire, you may find the problem. The relays and the resistor are not the problem maker.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff_Yu
This relay is responsible for changing the slow speed and med speed. if it damages, you still have the slow speed. Have you check the resistor, it is easy to check by just pull it out, and to see if any damages, also check if it is open circuit.
I'm currently driving around with the relay unplugged and the fan only operates on high speed.

Much louder than I've noticed before

Quick Reply: Overheating suspect bad ECT