Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Rubbing noise/friction when turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Default Rubbing noise/friction when turning wheel

Hi there,
Am new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm doing this all wrong.

I have a Mazda Tribute 2002, 122k on the clock. For about the last 3 weeks or so I've noticed that when I first use the car during the day (morning or afternoon) whenever I turn the wheel I hear a rubbing/friction noise (not a whistle), as if something is grinding on something else. After a minute or two of driving the noise disappears completely and that's it gone for the day, even if I leave the car for a couple of hours and use it again it doesn't reappear. Following day same thing again.
Yesterday I took it to Goodyear Service Centre (nearest place to me with a good reputation) and they had the car for an hour (at no charge which was good) and diagnosed that I need 3 x engine mounts fitted at a cost of $998, obviously I'm reluctant to shell out this sort of money if it's not the cause. Has anyone any other thoughts on this please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Stuart

Old 09-17-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by jostu001
Hi there,
Am new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm doing this all wrong.

I have a Mazda Tribute 2002, 122k on the clock. For about the last 3 weeks or so I've noticed that when I first use the car during the day (morning or afternoon) whenever I turn the wheel I hear a rubbing/friction noise (not a whistle), as if something is grinding on something else. After a minute or two of driving the noise disappears completely and that's it gone for the day, even if I leave the car for a couple of hours and use it again it doesn't reappear. Following day same thing again.
Yesterday I took it to Goodyear Service Centre (nearest place to me with a good reputation) and they had the car for an hour (at no charge which was good) and diagnosed that I need 3 x engine mounts fitted at a cost of $998, obviously I'm reluctant to shell out this sort of money if it's not the cause. Has anyone any other thoughts on this please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Stuart
Stu...For one thing you have not done anything wrong by checking this forum....there are some sharp folks here that have had about every kind of Mazda Tribute problem going. We all try to help each other to solve these problems....I have "NEVER EVER" heard or seen on this or the Ford Escape forum of 3 motor mounts needing to be replaced.....To start with you need to get at least a second opinion. Your trouble is more likely to be a squeak in the steering column. Another thing that can cause a noise like that is simply the tires turning on dry pavement..or a bad power steering pump.
Try placing the front of the truck on a grassy spot turning wheel back and forth and see if you still hear the noise...
I might end up eating my words on this post, But I aint buying the 3 bad motor mounts theory. If that truck had 3 bad motor mounts it would handle like a bucking bronco all the time and not just for the first few minutes of driving.
Let us know how this turns out...

Last edited by Manhattan; 09-17-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 AM
ike

Check your belt tension, 'too loose might cause noise' good luck.