Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Misfire cyl #1 solved

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 AM
Default Misfire cyl #1 solved

Just wanted to pass this along to anyone else in this predicament. I recently did alot of work to my girlfriends Tribute, and when all is said and done, there is a misfire on #1 cylinder ALL THE TIME. I tried swapping the coil packs around, and even changed the fuel injector around (what a bitch). I did a continuity test from the PCM wiring harness to the coil pack and the injector...everything seemed good. I was convinced it was a bad PCM.

When I put it all back together to try it one last time, the Tribute ran smooth! Wow...wtf? I wiggled the harness going into the PCM and then it ran crappy again...wiggle it the other way, and ran smooth! ah-ha! Found the green/white wire going into the PCM and noticed a slight kink in the wire. I pulled on it and it streched. I cut and respliced and soldered/heat shrink it back together and everythign is good again. Happy Happy!!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you, Thank you, a thousand times Thank you! I have had this problem for about a year. I pulled the green and white wire and it easily stretched and broke. The wire inside was brittle and black. I cut out the bad part of the wire and spliced in a jumper. As soon as I started it, the light went out and it has been running smooth ever since.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:53 AM

I know how u feel!!! This is what the forum is supposed to be about! Sometimes people solve their own problems and then forget to put it on the forum for people to learn. I'm glad I helped solve someone elses problems. This made my day! Now if you can return the favour and help me with my issues with the girlfriend!hahahah!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Default code 171?

I have the same problem, but not sure if I have the same solution. Single cylinder misfire, cylinder 1. I've related the cop, injector, o-rings, intake gaskets, PCV hose and several vacuum hoses. My 301 is accompanied by a code 171, lean condition bank 1. I have a feeling they're related, since I pretty confidant about the vacuum hose and such, and if that cylinder is getting little/no gas, that would create a lean condition, right?

I was wondering if someone could post a pinout for this PCM? I have a 2001 4WD V6, and I've taken that cover off the wires coming out of the PCM, but they look to be in pretty good repair. I think the grn/wht wire that solve your problem would be lower right, labeled pin 1?
Thanks
Sean

Old 08-04-2011, 11:35 AM

I had the exact same problem with the green/white wire in the harness at the top center of the firewall. There was a break in the wire inside the insulation. The break came from fatigue. I cut the wire open and soldered it back together. Problem solved.

2001 tribute lx v6

Old 08-07-2011, 06:42 PM

One way that I checked to see if fuel was getting into the engine, is that I took off the plenum intake, and disconnected all of the spark plug coil wires, and had someone turn the key over and see how the injectors fired. To be honest I did it all myself, I disconnected the positive off the battery and then I jerry rigged a screwdriver into the key slot and tie wrapped it to the steering wheel so the key was always on. When I wanted to crank the engine all I did was connect the positive to the battery. But be warned, your spraying fuel into your engine and you get a bit of a spark when you touch the positive to the battery. I'd suggest have someone crank it over for you.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 PM

Hi all,

Reviving an old thread here.

Has anyone got a pic of the green white wire that gets damaged.

I have 2004 v6 tribute that has the same issues.

I bought a code reader and the codes did come back a little weird:

- P0100 - MAF
- P07E0 - undefined
- P002A - undefined
- P0304 - reders says pending Cylinder 4 misfire

I have replaced all plugs and coils to no avail. I'm thinking that it may be a wiring loom damage or a bad earth. Maybe these codes do relate to one wire being damaged.

The car runs very rough at idle - like an old diesel. But when driving, she seems ok.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM

Are you in Europe? The only code I see is 304 misfire #4. When you replaced the plugs what did they look like? I'd suggest pull #4 plug if it is not bright white, swap plug wire with one close to it, see if the problems swaps to that cylinder.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM

woops here is a chart for spark plugs, again the porcelin should be bright white on an electronic ignition especially new.
NGK Spark Plugs USA

Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 AM

Cheers Kevin. I've replace both plugs and the coils, still to no avail. The plug did look less white than the others so something isn't right.

Not in Europe. In Perth Australia.

Quick Reply: Misfire cyl #1 solved