Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Leaking Brake Fluid - Engine Fire - Recall 6712A

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Angry Leaking Brake Fluid - Engine Fire - Recall 6712A

2002 Mazda Tribute ES V6

A few days ago, the brake light on the dashboard came on while driving, and with the handbrake down. I stopped pulled handbrake up and down again, but that did not clear the light. I opened the hood to check the brake fluid level and saw a lot of fluid around the reservoir. Further research online showed this to be a known issue with tributes and escapes and a recall had been issued - Recall 6712A.

I went in to the dealership in Culver City, California, they did the recall and another outstanding recall on the car, but they will not replace the brake fluid soaked electrical connector under the brake fluid reservoir.

From my understanding of how a possible engine fire could start from a brake fluid leak, the fluid leaks onto electrical connections, creates a short and ignites the brake fluid.

I wiped it down as much as I could, am I right in being concerned ?

How much is to replace the connector ?

What's the part called ?

What's the part number ?

Is this something I should do myself ?

How do you do this ?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Leaking Brake Fluid - Engine Fire - Recall 6712A-mazda_cap.jpg  
Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 PM

The base chemical of brake fluid it ethylene glycol. It is hygroscopic meaning it will attract water. That water could cause a short and heat. And that heat could start a fire. This happened with Ford Windstars. In those the pressure switch that shuts off the cruise control when you apply the brake was leaking and the fluid ran down into the ABS controller's connector. Rain water splashed up on that and eventually caused fires. I don't think there is enough current at the switch itself to cause a fire. But that is only a guess.
Your picture shows that the wire goes up. Therefore the brake fluid has no chance run along that wire to a potential hot spot. Besides, the leak is fixed.
If you feel the need to go further you could do this: disconnect the battery. Use water, yes water from a spray bottle and wash that connector. You can dry it with a hair dryer and to be sure you may give it one more spray with MAF sensor cleaner or electronics cleaner. Neither one will harm the plastic parts and will pick up any remaining water and evaporate completely.

Last edited by tanprotege; 04-15-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Banned
Talking

Originally Posted by tanprotege
If you feel the need to go further you could do this: disconnect the battery. You can dry it with a hair dryer and to be sure you may give it one more spray with MAF sensor cleaner or electronics cleaner. Neither one will harm the plastic parts and will pick up any remaining water and evaporate completely.
Agree with this