Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Key Stuck In Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Default RE: Key Stuck In Ignition

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll work on it this weekend, if it's warm enough. I'll let you know how it turns out. The good news is I already took parts of it off already to install my stereo.
If you're ever in NJ, I'll get you a few beers.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the offer of a cold one. Would never turn one down. Hope the weather is nice and good luck with the inspection and cleaning of that switch. If you are ever in Oregon and the key is still giving you fits now and then, stop by and will give you a new change lever assemblyunder warranty (just call ahead so I can have one in stock)[8D]. ( Is not that hard to find a reason to replace anything under normal warranty ). Anyways I hope all goes well. Warm water and a toothbrush should get any sticky goo dissolved and eliminate the problem if that is the issue and would be willing bet that it is.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Ya know, I looked all last week to see if a floor shifter auto trans late model Trib would come in so I could maybe get you some pics and nothing. This morning, 3 of them all at one time.[:@]Not sure if you got to the cleaning this weekend but here are a few pics that will give you a better idea of where the switch is at. I think you will find it MUCH easier to go ahead and pull the shifter assembly completely out to do any cleaning as is pretty tight work still installed. Super easy to remove. Gray connector at rear area to unplug. Disconnect the cable end by simply prying away with flat screwdriver. Pic below will show the release button to remove the cable from bracket, 4 10mm bolts and it pulls right out for easier access.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/2C41D6627EAC4AC8A79E543706368F7E.jpg[/IMG]
Here is how much of the center console will pull up and out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/825FCDCCC8F84C4BB3BBA2210427C4A2.jpg[/IMG]
This is pic of the shift cable bracket. pull that little cream colored nub ( kind of a black arrow pointing to it )on orange side away from bracket to release locking clip and entire thing will pull up andaway from shifter bracket.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/544B220C457E452DB4610F46F157B9F8.jpg[/IMG]
The arrow points to the white button that is your probable culprit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/757128D488AC4AAFABD2DD33054A5D5A.jpg[/IMG]
Little closer image of the same thing.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:32 PM

Those pics definitely help. It's still too cold here to really look at it yet. I did take the top piece of plastic out, but haven't had a chance to go deeper yet.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:42 PM

Thanks a lot for the help babyhuey. I worked on this yesterday. Everything seems to be working well so far. I'll give it a few days before I put everything back together.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:02 PM

I know this thread is old but I wanted to thank Babyhuey for the information in the post to king276. I was on vacation in South Dakota when the key would not release from the ignition switch. The rest of the vacation we would put a baseball cap on the wiper arm to disguise the key in the ignition and lock the tribute with the key fob.
Returning home loggon and found this forum. Today I followed the instructions from Babyhuey and cleaned the parts after removal. Through this site I found that the shaft that enguages the parking cable was bent thus not allowing the collar to move towards the gear shift ****. The interlock was remaining enguaged and would not release the key! A little prying with a pin bar, screwdriver on a vise restored the shaft to its original shape.
Reassembly was easy, and it works like new.
This site saved me at least $600.00 in shop charges plus I could have been charged for a new part when straightening the shaft was all that was needed.
Once again thank you for your help Babyhuey, even though you were not responding to an posting by me!
Bravo and cheers, jack.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:42 PM

I know this is an old post, but I am having the same problem with my 2006 Mazda Tribute and the picture links are no longer valid.

Babyhuey do you by chance still have the pictures you posted in your response (02-13-2007, 06:25 PM #13)?

If so could you repost them?

I tried to send you a message on this forum but it bounced, you have exceeded your storage space.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Default what causes a 1995 mazda millini to stay running.

I have this problem. I have a 1995 mazda millini that when you shut the car off and pull the key the engine stays running and the dash lights are still on. I replace the ignition switch and the alternator. but still have problems.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Default Thanks!!

Much thanks Baby Huey. I did exactly as you instructed and found the culprit to be spilled soda, cleaned the area with a toothbrush and voila.....problem solved. There are lots of people having the same issue with escape/tribute/mariner and there is no telling how much $$ has been wasted at the dealership. Baby huey is the man

Old 04-14-2014, 05:10 AM
Default Key stuck

• I also have this issue, I had the lock cylinder replaced, key comes out but I still have an issue with the indicator not showing park. Truck goes into park, key comes out the key chime still sounds. I also have a current draw killling my battery, I suspect that the issues are connected. My 2001 Tribute has the shifter on the column. I welcome any help.

Quick Reply: Key Stuck In Ignition