Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

intermittent whine sound stops when brakes applied

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Default intermittent whine sound stops when brakes applied

2001 LX. Intermittent whine sound (like ears ringing), not too loud but loud enough to irritate. Can't locate sound but it stops when the brake pedal is touched--just touched. Does not change with the weather (humidity or temp). Service guy I use says he had exactly the same issue with another Tribute. He changed everything ($600 bill) but the whine remained. The only thing that changes is that when I release the brake very slowly, it usually doesn't whine. When I release the brake pedal quickly, it usually whines. The brakes work well.[:-]

Old 08-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Default RE: intermittent whine sound stops when brakes applied

Are you able to get the noise to occur at a complete stop by using your parking brake to slow instead of brake pedal? If you can and noise is still there then try this. Open the hood and have someone remove the large vacuum hose to the brake booster. It pulls right out of the booster as shown in pic below. If noise instantly stops inside then you have a small vacuum leak from the backside of the brake vacuum booster making the whistle/whine noise. New brake booster should fix it right up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/F9F4827A9FD149238520F1A8D94A8742.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-15-2006, 10:44 PM

Thank you. Sounds very promising. The picture's very helpful! I'll do it and report back.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:08 PM

babyhuey,

I originally found this post, because we are having the exact same whining problem with our brakes. Ours does continue even after we stop the car, so I'll be able to disconnect that hose and see if it stops.

My question now is in regards to a hose on my 2001 Tribute that is disconnected on one end. I just noticed it yesterday and then I saw that the hose is included in the picture you posted. I used your picture and drew arrows to the hose in question. On mine the hose is connected on the underneath side, and then it comes up through the little brace and is just sitting there. I looked all around and couldn't find a place for the hose to go.

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/7481/5BD7E9369B7E4DF79F5B85C3A3FA6D3E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2007, 09:13 PM

The little hooked hose you are pointing to is the transmission pressure vent tube and should be open on the top end. It should be attached to the dipstick tube with a plastic clip to keepthe open end elevated.As the transmission heats up, the air inside expands. Without a vent such as that hose the resulting pressure build up would force fluid out of the seals and create leaks which you certainly would not want.