Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Default RE: check engine light

Percentage is in my favor that it is the DPFE.

How can I reset the light?

Old 08-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Yes the odds are probably in your favor but still does not take much time to double check by having the code number retrieved at a parts store that does this for free. DPFE sensor fault is usually stored as a P0401 or P0402 depending upon where the sensor voltage is stuck at.
Sounds like you found the sensor just fine back by the dispstick tube and below brake master cylinder area. Clearing the fault codes is a simple matter of disconnecting the negative battery cable for several minutes if you do not have a scan tool cable of doing this.
Uploading pics is fairly easy but is limited to a total of five per post and total size of 500kB. When writing a new post look toward the bottom of the message box that you are typing in. Will see this

Click here to upload! (a box) Embed picture in post.

check the box the click on the "click here to upload". A new window will come up. Click on the "Browse" button to look on your computer for the pic you want. Open the pic and then click OK when done. Should be self explanatory once you get started on it.

What was the thing you did about holding reset button and cycling key on and off to get some kind of code on the odometer??? Have never heard of that doing anything. Just curious anyway.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:13 AM

I didn't know the auto parts store will check codes for free? That's cool. My LPS didn't even know what a DPFE sensor was when I asked them yesterday. Oh well. I disconnected the battery cable earlier today at work, then drove home this evening. It hasn't come back on, but I'm sure it will.

Check out what comes up when you hold in the odemeter reset button and start your car three times. After the third time, still holding the button in, you will see "gage" then let go, and your gauge needles will rotate. Push it once for the disply to change. Check it out and then get back to me, see what you think.

Frank

Old 08-29-2006, 06:56 PM

Yes, some will check codes for free on OBDII level vehicles like yours. I know that Autozone does but not sure who else. Might try making a few phone calls and see if you have any local places that would. The DPFE stands for Differential Pressure Feedback Exhaust and is a sensor that the engine computer uses to determine if the EGR or Exhaust Gas Recirculation system is truly functioning correctly.

Now I see what you are doing with the odometer reset button. You are putting the instrument cluster in self-diagnostic mode. You actually don't even need to cycle the key to get there. With key in off position, push and hold the reset button Turn on the ignition to 'run' position while still holding the reset button down. In approx 5 seconds the display should read tESt. Now release the reset button and you are in self-diagnostic mode. The first test is the needle sweep. If you push reset again all of the LED segments will light up. Next press will turn on all of the warning lamps, etc. There are about 50 different things that each additional press will display ranging from programming level of the instrument cluster and failure codes for body related system to all of the different inputs from fuel level sender, temp sender, door ajar switches and on and on. If you are interested in what each press does I can see if I can bring it up and post it?

Old 08-30-2006, 11:09 AM

So that is just the instrument cluster diagnostic? Oh well, I thought it was the whole vehicle fault codes, not just the instrument cluster. Is there any useable info on it that I should be concerned with?

I have an Advanced Auto parts just up the road. I'll see if they can check the codes.

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

Frank

BTW, how annoying are those underlined words? Let's see what gets underlined:

Auto Parts
Bathtub
Sink
Tires
Mazda
Ford Focus
Eyeglasses
Telephone
Furniture
Pool
Toothpaste
Wheels
Trombone

Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 PM

Ha Ha, I guess I am not the only one that has those annoying underlined words in the text. I think it is an Adware that has been installed on your computer without you knowing about it. None of the words you wrote are underlined on my computer but 'vehicle' in the first line and 'Auto parts' in third line of your post are. I ran into that some time back and thought someone had done something to the Forum. Contacted the Admin and he had no idea what I was talking about. Went to try it on another computer and nothing was underlined so knew it must be something on my computer. In the upper right corner of the pop-up there is a ? and an X. Click on the ? and it will take you to the Intellitext page to learn more about it. Is annoying to me too.

Not really any usefull information unless you are having a problem with the instrument cluster, gauges, or warning lights. I have only used the function a time or two.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:03 PM

No they weren't. Maybe because they were stand alones. Auto Parts, Bathtub, Sink, Tires, Mazda, Ford Focus, Eyeglasses, Telephone, Furniture, Pool, Toothpaste, Wheels, and Trombone.

Thanks for the info on the cluster. Might have a chance to my LPS tomorrow.

Frank

Old 09-03-2006, 07:57 PM

babyhuey,

I keep forgetting to ask. What's the best method to get the DPFE off of those two black tubes?

Thanks,

Frank

PS Sorry to hear your camera is missing.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:08 AM

The DPFE should just pull right off of the two black hoses Frank. They are just pushed on with no clamps used. A little twist and pull will usually allow you to get it right off of the pipes.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:31 AM

Cool, thanks for the info.

I guess we covered just about all there is to know about the DPFE haven't we?

Thanks again,

Frank

Quick Reply: check engine light