Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Default check engine light

Hi...I drive a 2002 Tribute - never had any real problems with it. The check engine light came on the other day - per the owner's manual, I checked the fuel cap and filled up the gas tank (to avoid potential condensation in the tank) and the light went off. Stayed off for about a day and then came back on again. Can't get it in to the shop for a few days so I thought I'd ask if this has happened to anyone else and if so, what was the diagnosis of the problem and the resolution?

Thanks.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Default RE: check engine light

I suggest taking it to your dealer, because Mazda has done a number powertrain control module (PCM) reprograms. While the tech is checking for diagnostic trouble code, it only take a few minutes to check your PCM calibration & reprogram if available.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:09 PM

By far the most common problem with a check engine light would be an egr flow problem. The DPFE sensor is at fault 99.9% of the time and there is a warranty extension on this part that covers for 5 years or 74,000 miles. Code will probably be either a p0401 or p0402. Warranty coverage is provided by SSP 59.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:01 PM

I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute with about 25,000 miles on it. The check engine light came on about a week ago, and I have been lazy about taking it in, but after reading up on it here, I've decided to make the appointment. I'll report back on the results.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:06 PM

Is there a way that i can pull the check engine codes myself?

Old 05-25-2006, 07:54 PM

Not without an OBDII compatible scan tool like the ones in the links below. Many auto parts stores such as Autozone will pull the codes for free for you. Just take it in and have it scanned for codes. Come back and repost with what code you have. Just don't let then try and sell you what they think it probably is.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...artnumber=3030

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...artnumber=1500

Old 05-25-2006, 08:21 PM

I second the idea of purchasing a scan tool and doing it yourself. This way you know the exact code and the confidence that the actual problem is being taken care of.

In additon, you will be able to run a scan for any future problems yourself also - without having to set-up an appointment, which could consume your whole day.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: babyhuey

By far the most common problem with a check engine light would be an egr flow problem. The DPFE sensor is at fault 99.9% of the time and there is a warranty extension on this part that covers for 5 years or 74,000 miles. Code will probably be either a p0401 or p0402. Warranty coverage is provided by SSP 59.

Can you please tell me where this DPFE sensor is located? I have an 01 Tribute and my Check Engine light also stays on.

Thanks,

Frank

Old 08-27-2006, 03:16 PM

Once changing the DPFE, I believe I found it, connected to two tubes by the transmission dip stick, do I need to reset the check engine light? Or will it go off by itself? If I need to reset it, how can I do it?

BTW, can one post pics on this forum? If so, where's the "easy" button for that?

Thanks,

Frank

Old 08-28-2006, 02:21 PM

With all of the code sources in an engine I do not think you should start replacing parts based on the probability of what the code might be. You should get the code read first and then figure out what parts should be replaced.

Quick Reply: check engine light