Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Bug deflector mounting

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Default Bug deflector mounting

A couple of days ago someone from the neighborhood came by and handed me a free Mazda bug deflector for my Tribute. It was kind of odd but hey, free car parts - just in time for insect season in Kansas! Anyway, the only problem is he didn't give me any of the screws used to mount the thing. There are 4 holes that line up with the brackets on the deflector but I'm not sure what kind of screws to get for it.

I looked online and found plenty of sites selling bug deflectors but none of them tell you what the mounting hardware consists of. I also went to 2 car parts stores tonight. Autozone was getting ready to close and the guy was doing paperwork and barely said a word to me but mumbled something about screws on aisle 6. Obviously he didn't want my business tonight. The kid at O'Reilly was at least helpful but didn't have much advice either. He suggested going to a hardware store and getting some self-tapping screws.

So does anyone here have a more... "informed" suggestion? The holes don't have threads - they are just a hole punched in sheet metal. The two in the center appear to be larger than the two on the sides. Looked like 5mm and 8mm or so. I saw some "plastic rivets" that might work. Or just some regular old metal screws?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

Old 05-26-2006, 04:54 AM
Default RE: Bug deflector mounting

Do you know what brand you have? Perhaps it is a no need to drill type.

EGR is one maker of the No-Drill mounting bug shield

Old 05-26-2006, 08:50 PM

I believe it is made by Mazda. It is specifically designed for the Tribute and as I said the bracket lines up perfectly with pre-drilled holes on the bottom of the hood. However my problem has been solved

My Tribute was due for an oil change a few days after I started this thread. I stopped in the parts department at the dealer and asked them. They actually DO make mounting kits and they even had one in stock. Only cost me $6 plus change. It consists of 4 plastic doohickies that go into the holes and then 4 screws that screw into the plastic. Of course it couldn't be QUITE that simple - the 2 screws on the outside are different from the 2 screws on the inside but I managed to figure it out. Guess thats why they pay me the big bucks... Or something

Old 05-26-2006, 11:51 PM

Great...sounds good to hear that everything worked out for you!