Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Blown out spark plug repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:59 PM
Default Blown out spark plug repair

Hello,
I recently had the #2 spark plug blow out on my 2005 Tribute 3.0 and I was wondering if anyone else has done this repair before and could offer any tips.

I am looking at rethreading the hole with the head still on but there is what appears to be a clip in the way. I don't know what metal it is and am wondering if I can cut through it easily. Attached there is a pic of both a good spark plug in place and the one that blew out. Please note the half circle ?clip? that is still in place. Any ideas what that is?

The threads are pretty much gone, not a chance of using them again. After researching a bit an insert appears to be my best option followed by a head replacement.

Any suggestions? Insert brands? Tips? Prayers?

Thank you,
Rudy

Attached Thumbnails Blown out spark plug repair-good2.jpg   Blown out spark plug repair-bad2.jpg   Blown out spark plug repair-bad4.jpg  
Old 08-30-2017, 06:13 PM

Standard fix is to have a helicoil insert put in but I don't believe that is something you would want to do with the head on the engine due to swarf entering the cylinder - no point saving removing the head if you damage the cylinder bore...

Me? I'd source a 2nd hand head and just replace it...