Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Airbag Light On - 2002 Tribute

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Default RE: Airbag Light On - 2002 Tribute

Thanks to everyone for this Air Bag warning light information. You saved me a trip to the Service Dept at my local Mazda dealer. Who knows what I would have been charged for the service. I have a 2004 Mazda Tribute and the air bag light came on after a camping trip this past weekend. The roads were pretty dusty and I thought that the dust may have contributed to the Air Bag light appearing. However, after reading your information, I took my Tribute home last night and moved both seats forward and found the connections. Unhooked a couple and reconnected and sure enough, problem is fixed - no more warning light.

We did move the seats quite a few times to get our camping gear packed, unpacked and repacked. Perhaps our gear loosened or jarred the connections in some way. Either way, problem is fixed....thanks again.

I called the Mazda dealer to cancel my service appointment and he claimed that he was not aware of this connection problem.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:04 PM

OK, I have to say a thank you to people giving information on this forum.

I had an airbag light on my 2002 Mazda Tribute. Was scheduling it for repair at the dealership and searched on here just to get an idea how much the repairs were going to cost me. After reading this forum I too moved my seats forward and found two electrical plugs under each seat. I unplugged and replugged them in, the light that has been on for weeks is now off. Thanks for the $$$ you guys just saved me.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM

I have the same problem with my 2002 tribute. The airbag light blinks a few times and then stays on. At other times the light does not come on at all. I have asked about the problem, but have not recieved an answer beyond what you have just described. I have a problem with both my driver side power windows not going up all of the time. I was wondering if you could offer me any further insight into this problem. I have replaced the master switch, but still experience the same prolems. My only other guess is that it is the motor.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:12 PM

Same here..2001 Tribute..airbag light blinks, then stays on for periods at a time. Exactly as you all have said..find connectors under the seats, unplug them, then plug them back in. The connectors may gather oxidation on them. If you can get into them and scrape them a bit, it may keep the light off fora longer period of time.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:42 AM

great news, i check a previous posting concerning the same problem that i have and an address and phone # for Mazda Regional Center, called the # they ask me for the Vin # and was told that there's a recall for the sensor on the Mazda tribute, to take the car to a authorized dealer and they will fix it for free. Again there're a bunch of great people on this site that love to share info and suggestions, To All of you I wanto to express my Gratitude, Thanks a Million and if i ever can share some information i will do so with out hesitation.

Mtt63.

PS i will post the results as soon as i get the car looked at.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the advice all. I have a quick question. Does anyone know what the second connector under the driver side seat goes to? I have a 2003 Tribute with 2 connectors on the drivers side (1-yellow, 1-white) and 1 connector on the passengers side (yellow). The second connector (white) on the Drivers Side isn't connected to anything and I don't see anything to connect it to. Is it possibly for a heated seat (don't have one in my vehicle). Appreciate any info/feedback.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Thumbs up

Sorry about digging up an old post but I just replaced the airbag light on our 02 Trib instrument cluster only to discover it blinked after starting the car up. Anyway, after searching this forum and finding this thread I unplugged the connections under both front seats, reconnected them and the airbag light went out!

Saved me a trip back to the shop, thanks.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:33 AM

geeze,whats dramas......sorry to say but these tributes are also an expensive headache to work on. Being an auto electrician they ur battery light which is coming on is telling u the alternator not charging

Old 12-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Default Airbag light on - 2002 Tribute

The airbag light on my 2002 Tribute flashes 4 times and then 6 times after starting the car. Eventually it just stays on. Note: both pretensioners were replace 2 years back.
I did some research, and my best guess from that research is that the oxidizing wiring clip posts and sockets were faulty.
I have had the problem for 3 years now with Code 47 for passenger side, under seat, requires using a round knife file and cleaning the contacts and socket. Once cleaned you have to do a system reset by turning key from off to accessory 8-9 times(not starting the car!), when the door locks will lock and then reopen.
Dec 9,2013: Cleaned passenger side first and light still flashing. Then, I got Code 46 for Driver side. So, cleaned the drivers side contacts and did the reset.
Seat belt light comes on with fresh start and then goes off and stays off.....until the contacts need cleaning again. This is a real pain in the ***!

I have been told that this is a widespread problem with the Mazda Tribute.

It could be the pretensioners. At least that is what they tell you so that they can replace them and not cheap.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:30 PM

I have a 2002 Tribute and the airbag light comes on when something nudges the wires under the driver's seat. I found that on a fluke. I just readjusted the wires (nothing was unplugged, just moved) and that turned off the light. It's happened a few times and I just readjust the wires and it fixes it.